Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Law Breaker??

Just because a fish swims away doesn't mean it survives.

Keyboard biologists..... awesome.

Guys. They caught 4 fish and took a picture. I am sure the guys are great stewards for fishing. I doubt they meant any harm to the fish. They most likely made sure they released them safely..... And you are right, "Just because a fish swims away doesn't mean it survives" is a very true statement. An osprey can eat the fish, a larger fish can eat the fish, maybe get hit by a prop when it is shallow.... the "what ifs!" can be endless.

Whether they were doing this outside a tournament is irrelevant. For all anyone knows they were having a fun tournament with their buddies and having a small weigh in at the end.

They were legal and appeared to be having fun.... What do we have to worry about?

I believe that holding any live game fish is not legal and that only sanctioned tournaments have a waiver to allow for bass to be culled and/or kept alive in a live well. This is how I understand the law so although I think enough has been said if I am right you saying it's "legal" and irrelevant is incorrect.

I'm just guessing that it may be too difficult for some to recognize the fact that the limit at Lake Perris is two fish. Perhaps this picture will show you that he had four in his possession when this picture was taken and the story under the pic in Bassfan says they were four of the five in his bag of over 50 lbs. http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=5117

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I believe that holding any live game fish is not legal and that only sanctioned tournaments have a waiver to allow for bass to be culled and/or kept alive in a live well. This is how I understand the law so although I think enough has been said if I am right you saying it's "legal" and irrelevant is incorrect.
    You use the word "believe" at the beginning of your post, then you call me out for saying "legal". Please post the law calling this out. I have had DFW check our live well for our "non sanctioned" fun tournaments with no issues.

Maybe there was someone else in the boat taking the pic? 2 dudes X 2 fish ea. 4 fish.

Why assume the bad!? Putting this guy in the poacher/ bad sportsman category.

You are litreally picking out small changes in regulations like driving 50 in a 45 zone. The dude doesn't have a deck full of dead bass. Gosh.

I am not very active on this forum, now I remember why. Post pics and everyone looks for a poacher!

My understanding of the law is what I stated chompot but I don't believe it is enforced I even mentioned it in my earlier post on this website. Although this explanation is a little vague it does recognize that culling is not allowed so once you've reached 2 in the live well at Perris you should be done for the day and not still be fishing, obviously this statute has been broken per the article.

http://www.wonews.com/Blog.aspx?id=222

But I personally have concerns about giving bass a joy ride just to get a glory shot, there simply is no reason to risk the stress on the fish. Many of the same guys that do this are the same ones that would give holy hell to somebody that kept a largemouth, the contradictions show that they need some better thought process, one act legal the other not so much yet they give crap to the legal fishermen that take a fish.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post

But I personally have concerns about giving bass a joy ride just to get a glory shot
    I totally understand where you are coming from, but that statement tells me you are against all catch and release tournaments because MONEY sure as hell does not make that okay if that is your stance.

If you are a tournament guy and do it in a tournament or on a rec day or fun tourny.... what is the difference? Money? Sport? Bragging rights?

Edit: Just read your link. I have also read that before. Petty unenforced law. I can totally respect your views from a moral stance. Like I said livewells have been checked on non tourney days. Non issue anytime I have experienced it.

Just for the record. I have never kept multiple fish for a HERO shot, but I have fished some damn fun non sanctioned tourneys where we had weighs in and all.
    Last edited by chompot; 01-19-2015 at 05:24 PM.

Hey guys I'm the guy who caught these fish. I actually caught a total of 9 that day. It was truly an amazing day of swimbait fishing.
    I have emailed the department of fish and wildlife myself with your concerns of myself breaking the law. Mike is out of the office for a few days. When he replies to me I will post it for you all to read.
    As far as fish being held for the glory shot well when you catch a 10lber you put it in the well hoping to catch another , let alone 8 more. I am a very experienced tournament angler and weigh master. I take very good care of my fish and they are always released alive and well.

I do appreciate you guys talking about me , but please have your facts in order before making claims of breaking the law and harming fish .

Thanks for the reply. The problem I see is that although you have the experience, knowledge and equipment to be as careful with the bass as possible others do not have the training or experience yet they want that "glory shot". I saw that you were with a guide and there is a competition out there amongst guides I'm sure to get pictures to represent their business. Once again I'd say the bass are in very good hands with a guide and a tournament fishermen but that would be the reason a waiver is required to ensure that those that are participating use the directions and rules of the tournament that are designed to best keep the fish alive.

Not bashing just think it's kind of an important topic.

I see your point and have seen many bass miss treated in the years I have fished. I can assure you of one thing and that is my fish are always well cared for.
    Yes my friend fishing that day is a guide, but this was not a guided trip. This was me just taking a friend fishing. Which turned into an amazing day on the water

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast