Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Broke in the new license today

Default Broke in the new license today

I tried to go to Castaic but the launch ramp was closed at 7 due to debris, so I headed for Pyramid...launched and drove around the lake looking for marks that would make it worth setting up a u-rig, but never found them...most of the marks I found were in 200 feet or more, with most of the marks in the lower half...I dropped the anchor in 260 feet and started chopping sardines...it took a while but I finally got bit on a flyline...a 1 1/2 lb. schoolie...a little later I caught the same size fish on a chunk with some weight at about 50 feet...then a better fish bit on the flyline as I was reeling it up...about a 3 pounder...then the fish in the water column disappeared...there were still some marks at 250 feet, but I had left the rock cod rig at home...headed back to the dock, where there was a school of recent planters milling around...tried a few lures...they all got followed, but no hits until I used a spinner...caught and released a few of those.

No pics this time...I kept the 3 pounder since it came up all blown up like a rock cod with its gas bladder sticking out its mouth, and gave it to a couple of guys fishing near the dock...it was a nice windless day after it warmed up.

Congrats SK. A 3 from the depths will always put a smile on ya!

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
    Congrats SK. A 3 from the depths will always put a smile on ya!
    Thanks Fishbones! It was a real drag ripper on 4 lb. line...she went straight down, which probably helped give it a bad case of the bends when I brought her back up...

WTG stumpy!

I still say its the best little lake in the west .

Winter fishing can be tough but you was still able to get your catch on and that's great!

T/B

Hahahaa.. 4# test for the win.
    I love fishing 4# with stripers

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    WTG stumpy!

I still say its the best little lake in the west .

Winter fishing can be tough but you was still able to get your catch on and that's great!

T/B
    Thanks T/B! It's a pretty place where you can usually find something that's biting, even when it's cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
    Hahahaa.. 4# test for the win.
    I love fishing 4# with stripers
    Luckily stripers usually head for open water when hooked, so as long as the reel drag is loose and the line & knots are good, it's like scaled-down tuna fishing...just wait 'em out while they run...

Congrats on the catchin Stumpknocker!

I love fishing 4 lb for striper but "Let me tell you about the one that got away.".

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Congrats on the catchin Stumpknocker!

I love fishing 4 lb for striper but "Let me tell you about the one that got away.".
    Thanks Fishinone...yeah, there is that occasional spooling by who-knows-how-big!