Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: "limits" of Calico and sandies off SC pier 1/4/14

Default "limits" of Calico and sandies off SC pier 1/4/14

1st off, sorry for the delay in the report, second sorry no pictures as many times we would get bit again before we got the hook out of the last fish.

Had a rash of an itch since the last time i got a line wet was thanksgiving weekend. decided that with the cold weather and lack of recent trips to brainstorm up a MO me and my buddy stayed local. 5 min drive to the pier, kept it simple with a Carolina rig and bag of frozen chovies. water was clear as glass, you could see the sand bottom halfway down the pier and the darker rock areas all the way to the end and then some. we figured the fish would be deeper with the clear water and headed straight for the end. long casts to the deep rocks straight out the back and in 5-10 min you either got bit or had to check your bait for salad or if it was still their. bite was solid during a strong dropping tide for most of the late morning into the afternoon. me and my buddy landed 10 between the 2 of us and had our chances with that many more. others were onto the bite soon after our first couple fish and for the half dozen guys out there we probably landed at least 20 bass mixed,Plus 3 or 4 sheephead and a few halfmoon perch for those fishing squid. our biggest bass was 14.5in but most were right around 12. one 16in calico was landed by some younger anglers who kept it along with 2 sheephead. Good for them I'd say all our fish were released to grow to monsters. All in all a beautiful day to be outside and happy to see some up an coming enthusiasts have probably the best day of fishing.

Side note I do usually fish a dropshot rig over the rocks and along the edges, I tried every jackle, slugo, finess minnow I had and not a bump. and after the fish started flying over the rail on the bait, well i might like the challenge but I'm no dummy. stinky hands today baby.

Let me beat you razzers to the punch on the limits title. 2 angler caught 10 bass = limits, all fish were CR so the fact that most were not 14" is IMO irrelevant.

Nice,cool to hear that kind of action from the pier!

Cya Tuna Vic

Sometimes the fish just want to eat the raw meat. You gave the artificials a try and it didn't pan out. No shame it switching it up to get on some of the action.

Congrats on a great day!
    Don