Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Lake Gregory (Crestline) fishing in December ?

Default Lake Gregory (Crestline) fishing in December ?

Has anyone fished Lake Gregory near Crestline during the fall/winter months ?

We are going up in a week for skiing but snow is non existent so that means for me, fishing.

Since the lakes are not frozen over due to lack of snow or cold weather, I'd like to try bait casting & fly fishing.

Anyone have any insights ???

I haven't been up there in a couple months, but I know that if you fish near the baseball fields, you should catch fish. The best bait would be a Carolina rig with an inflated nightcrawler. Good luck!

My buddy and I are going up there this saturday. Ill post a report. Dress really warm if you plan on hitting the lake in the early morning, and be aware of ice buildup on the tip of your pole because it can snap your line.

Lures: Panther Martins, Roostertails and Kastmasters usually do pretty well.
    Bait: Powerbait and hatchery nuggets do well. Nightcrawlers under a bobber or inflated and fished off the bottom can produce too.

Ive seen people do very well with fly fishing there also.

Looking forward to your report!

I hope the last storm that passed did not freeze the lake over ???

Quote Originally Posted by 4sallypat View Post
    Looking forward to your report!

I hope the last storm that passed did not freeze the lake over ???
    Theres no ice on the lake, the water isnt cold enough. Crestline is only at 4500 ft, I dont believe the lake ever freezes over.

My report is in "All other freshwater reports".
    Last edited by Kingfish Addict; 12-13-2014 at 08:19 PM.

Gregory never freezes over. It just isn't cold long enough up there. It might get sections of ice in coves and near the shore. But it'll never freeze over...

Never is not the word I'd use, I'd say rarely. Hell I've seen Hesperia lake just about completely frozen over!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Never is not the word I'd use, I'd say rarely. Hell I've seen Hesperia lake just about completely frozen over!

Ok, yes it does freeze partially from time to time. But my idea of freezing over is the entire lake frozen. There's water out there so not quite frozen over. Fishable, no... So you got me there. This type of freeze will happen every once in a while up there but be fishable again in a matter of days. This lake typically does not freeze all the way over ever is where I was going.
    We usually stayed up there when I was a kid for new years. One year it was partially frozen like this and some stupid kids were walking and attempting to ride their bike on the lake. Well, not 10 min after I went inside after watching them.... There were firetrucks and paramedics all over because the dumb a** fell in. He was fine, except being stupid...

Yea it's not a normal event and it's been a few years since the last good freeze. Don't think this year will be the year either since El Nino type patterns are evolving and although possibly wetter should also be warmer.

Stupid kids trying to walk on the lake? Jackson lake comes to mind right away!