Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 9er/seachicken ingame

Two things this thread reminds me of.

#1. Cutbait is still a troll.

#2. Trex still throws **** at the wall to see what sticks... Last year he said. " mark my words... Sea isnt for real"

As a true Niner fan I am trying to think of ways to make them better.

They should have all of their receivers wear Richard Sherman jerseys in games from now on... Then maybe Kap will hit THEM right between the numbers!

My regarding the niners: As a true and die-hard niner fan, this team needs to make some serious adjustments or outright changes in personnel. Let's start with No. 7. Watching Kap play this year is frustrating beyond words. Roman and Harbaugh's attempt to convert Kap into a pocket passer is completely taking him out of his element and negatively affecting his decision making on the field. With that being said, even if Kap were to be "set free" and the team allowed him to revert back to a similar playing style of previous years, I strongly believe Kap is NOT the franchise QB that the niners have been looking for. You see, I've never been a fan of the mobile quarterback. Sure they have incredible athletic ability, are entertaining to watch and may propose a headache to opposing offensive coordinators; but they are too vulnerable and history has proven that they cannot elevate their respective teams to a championship status. I strongly believe a pocket passer who retains in-depth knowledge of the game along with good DECISION making ability will always persevere versus flash and athletic talent. I think we can agree that this holds true in any sport. However, there is always an exception to the rule, and this anomaly goes by the name of Russell Wilson. BUT, even Russell Wilson uses his athletic ability to evade the rush and PASS the ball the down field, providing an opportunity for his receivers to make a play. Sure he runs the ball, but it seems as though he's off to the races when the situation calls for it and not solely because his athletic ability allows him to do so. In other words, it's the best and right move given the determining factors on the field. It kills me to say this, but Wilson's DECISION making ability is fantastic. This is very different to the Mike Vick's or last year's Colin Kaepernick. If Wilson didn't play for the dang s--thawks, he just might be my favorite QB. Still, give me a Matt Ryan or a Joe Flacco any day of the week. They may not be Brady or Rodgers, but I'll take them over Newton and RG3 in half a heartbeat. The only good thing that we have with Kap is the sh---y @$$ contract he signed with the franchise. The number is $126 million, but he is guaranteed almost none of it and we have the right to release him at any given time. Trent Baalke is no dummy, +1 for the franchise. Harbaugh, keep him, trade him, I could care less. Crabtree = Garbage. Why does Vernon Davis have less than 25 receptions thus far? Get him involved...that's one guy that can spread the field and create nightmarish matchups for defenses. Speaking of defense, our defense is playing nice. Second in the league....with all the injuries and off the field drama, two of our best LB's out, I'll take it. I really like how Borland has stepped up and made an impression filling in for Willis. He's gonna be a good one. Bethea was a decent addition as well. In conclusion, the remaining schedule is not in our favor. I don't see us beating the seahawks on the road or the cards at home. With that being said, our chances of making the playoffs this year are slim to none. Either way, they're still my team and I will never sway. This was my niner rant for the day, enjoy your week FNN!!

Many of you are probably to young to remember or watch another scrambler or the name of Fran Tarkenton.

The Minnesota Vikings drafted Tarkenton in the third round of the 1961 NFL Draft, and he was picked in the fifth round of the 1961 AFL draft by the Boston Patriots. He signed with the Vikings. Tarkenton, 21, played his first National Football League game (and the Vikings' first game) on September 17 against the Chicago Bears coming off the bench to lead the Vikings to a come-from-behind victory by passing for 250 yards and four touchdown passes and running for another as the upstarts stunned the Bears 37–13. He is the only player in NFL history to pass for four touchdowns in his first NFL game.

He played for the Vikings from 1961 to 1966, during which time he frequently locked horns with head coach Norm Van Brocklin, who disdained the idea of a mobile quarterback, a concept that Tarkenton dramatically advanced in the NFL. Tarkenton was given the nicknames "The Mad Scrambler," "Frantic Fran," and "Scramblin' Fran" because he frequently ran around in the backfield to avoid being sacked by the opposition (among his other nicknames: "Sir Francis," used occasionally by Howard Cosell of ABC Sports).

Tarkenton was traded to the New York Giants in 1967 (for two first round, and two second round draft picks) and played there for five seasons. His efforts helped the Giants rally from the NFL's basement (a 1-12-1 record in 1966) to better times. In the first game of the 1969 season, Tarkenton's Giants played the Vikings. After trailing 23-10 in the fourth quarter, Tarkenton threw two touchdown passes to secure a 24-23 comeback victory over his former team. The 24 points allowed by Minnesota's defense would be a season-worst for the unit that would finish #1 in dominant fashion.

Tarkenton was traded back to Minnesota in 1972, for three players plus a first and second round draft choice.[7] He led the Vikings to three Super Bowls in the 1970s, but lost all of them. In Tarkenton's first Super Bowl appearance they lost to the Miami Dolphins 24–7 in Houston, they lost the second to the Pittsburgh Steelers in a defensive struggle 16-6 in New Orleans, and in the last Super Bowl Tarkenton would ever play, the Vikings were blown out by the Oakland Raiders 32-14 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

Tarkenton won the NFL's MVP award after the 1975 season, capturing All-Pro honors in the process. Tarkenton was also second Team All-Pro in 1973 and earned All-NFC selection in 1972 and 1976. He was named second Team All-NFC in 1970 and 1974. Tarkenton was selected to play in nine Pro Bowls.

In his 18 NFL seasons, Tarkenton completed 3,686 of 6,467 passes for 47,003 yards and 342 touchdowns, with 266 interceptions. Tarkenton's 47,003 career passing yards rank him 6th all time, while his 342 career passing touchdowns is 4th all time in NFL history.[8] He also is fifth on the all-time list of wins by a starting quarterback with 124 regular season victories. He also used his impressive scrambling ability to rack up 3,674 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns on 675 carries. During his career, Tarkenton ran for a touchdown in 15 different seasons, an NFL record among quarterbacks. He ranks fourth in career rushing yards among quarterbacks, behind Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and Michael Vick. He is also one of two NFL quarterbacks ever to rush for at least 300 yards in seven different seasons; the other is Tobin Rote. Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986. Vikings head coach Bud Grant flatly called Tarkenton "the greatest quarterback who's ever played." When he retired, Tarkenton held NFL career records in pass attempts, completions, yardage, and touchdowns; rushing yards by a quarterback; and wins by a starting quarterback.

Despite not winning a Super Bowl, he won six playoff games, and in 1999 he was ranked number 59 on The Sporting News list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. He was also known to heave the ball deep on third and long with no regard to an interception. He stated this was due to the great defense his teams had.

One of the more difficult losses of Tarkenton's career occurred during the 1975 NFC Divisional Playoffs. With what was considered by some observers[citation needed] to be the best team of their Purple People Eater era, the Vikings lost to the Dallas Cowboys 17-14 on a hail Mary touchdown pass from Dallas quarterback Roger Staubach to wide receiver Drew Pearson. The play so incensed the crowd that one fan fired a whiskey bottle from the stands, striking official Armen Terzian in the head. This was partly responsible for the banning of glass bottles at arenas around the country. Common Vikings folklore blames this incident for many future calls that referees made against the Vikings, and has been termed "Terzian's Revenge". Tarkenton also lost his father, who died while he was watching the game; it had been rumored that the "Hail Mary Pass" caused the cardiac arrest, but in fact Mr. Tarkenton died during the middle of the third quarter. It was a disappointing end to a spectacular season for the Vikings. They had finished the season with an NFC best 12-2 record and Tarkenton had won the NFL Most Valuable Player Award, and the NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award.

Devore, unfortunately, I was too young to be able to watch Tarkenton play. I have seen highlights and Bud Grant is not alone in saying that Tarkenton was the greatest all-around QB ever. However, I did have the privilege of hearing him speak at a business conference that I attended because of work. He was very charismatic in his speech and extremely humble for such an accomplished man. Like Marino, Jim Kelly and others, it's a shame he never won the big game.

When I worked for an International Corporation I had the good fortune to be in a position to hire speakers for our national sales meetings. Fran Tarkington was one of the speakers I hired and he was indeed a great speaker. I also hired Terry Bradshaw and Lou Holtz at different times. Terry was also great but the best ever was Lou Holtz.

I think the biggest problem in sports today is with the high pay given to many athletes is the game plan to not put them in situations that they become injured. When you take an athletes strongest tools away (scrambling ability) from him and attempt to mold him into something he is not (pocket passer) the outcome can not be good.

Quote Originally Posted by basshole1 View Post
    My regarding the niners: As a true and die-hard niner fan, this team needs to make some serious adjustments or outright changes in personnel. Let's start with No. 7. Watching Kap play this year is frustrating beyond words. Roman and Harbaugh's attempt to convert Kap into a pocket passer is completely taking him out of his element and negatively affecting his decision making on the field. With that being said, even if Kap were to be "set free" and the team allowed him to revert back to a similar playing style of previous years, I strongly believe Kap is NOT the franchise QB that the niners have been looking for. You see, I've never been a fan of the mobile quarterback. Sure they have incredible athletic ability, are entertaining to watch and may propose a headache to opposing offensive coordinators; but they are too vulnerable and history has proven that they cannot elevate their respective teams to a championship status. I strongly believe a pocket passer who retains in-depth knowledge of the game along with good DECISION making ability will always persevere versus flash and athletic talent. I think we can agree that this holds true in any sport. However, there is always an exception to the rule, and this anomaly goes by the name of Russell Wilson. BUT, even Russell Wilson uses his athletic ability to evade the rush and PASS the ball the down field, providing an opportunity for his receivers to make a play. Sure he runs the ball, but it seems as though he's off to the races when the situation calls for it and not solely because his athletic ability allows him to do so. In other words, it's the best and right move given the determining factors on the field. It kills me to say this, but Wilson's DECISION making ability is fantastic. This is very different to the Mike Vick's or last year's Colin Kaepernick. If Wilson didn't play for the dang s--thawks, he just might be my favorite QB. Still, give me a Matt Ryan or a Joe Flacco any day of the week. They may not be Brady or Rodgers, but I'll take them over Newton and RG3 in half a heartbeat. The only good thing that we have with Kap is the sh---y @$$ contract he signed with the franchise. The number is $126 million, but he is guaranteed almost none of it and we have the right to release him at any given time. Trent Baalke is no dummy, +1 for the franchise. Harbaugh, keep him, trade him, I could care less. Crabtree = Garbage. Why does Vernon Davis have less than 25 receptions thus far? Get him involved...that's one guy that can spread the field and create nightmarish matchups for defenses. Speaking of defense, our defense is playing nice. Second in the league....with all the injuries and off the field drama, two of our best LB's out, I'll take it. I really like how Borland has stepped up and made an impression filling in for Willis. He's gonna be a good one. Bethea was a decent addition as well. In conclusion, the remaining schedule is not in our favor. I don't see us beating the seahawks on the road or the cards at home. With that being said, our chances of making the playoffs this year are slim to none. Either way, they're still my team and I will never sway. This was my niner rant for the day, enjoy your week FNN!!

My favorite 9 ER fan... a reasonable one

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Many of you are probably to young to remember or watch another scrambler or the name of Fran Tarkenton.

The Minnesota Vikings drafted Tarkenton in the third round of the 1961 NFL Draft, and he was picked in the fifth round of the 1961 AFL draft by the Boston Patriots. He signed with the Vikings. Tarkenton, 21, played his first National Football League game (and the Vikings' first game) on September 17 against the Chicago Bears coming off the bench to lead the Vikings to a come-from-behind victory by passing for 250 yards and four touchdown passes and running for another as the upstarts stunned the Bears 37–13. He is the only player in NFL history to pass for four touchdowns in his first NFL game.

He played for the Vikings from 1961 to 1966, during which time he frequently locked horns with head coach Norm Van Brocklin, who disdained the idea of a mobile quarterback, a concept that Tarkenton dramatically advanced in the NFL. Tarkenton was given the nicknames "The Mad Scrambler," "Frantic Fran," and "Scramblin' Fran" because he frequently ran around in the backfield to avoid being sacked by the opposition (among his other nicknames: "Sir Francis," used occasionally by Howard Cosell of ABC Sports).

Tarkenton was traded to the New York Giants in 1967 (for two first round, and two second round draft picks) and played there for five seasons. His efforts helped the Giants rally from the NFL's basement (a 1-12-1 record in 1966) to better times. In the first game of the 1969 season, Tarkenton's Giants played the Vikings. After trailing 23-10 in the fourth quarter, Tarkenton threw two touchdown passes to secure a 24-23 comeback victory over his former team. The 24 points allowed by Minnesota's defense would be a season-worst for the unit that would finish #1 in dominant fashion.

Tarkenton was traded back to Minnesota in 1972, for three players plus a first and second round draft choice.[7] He led the Vikings to three Super Bowls in the 1970s, but lost all of them. In Tarkenton's first Super Bowl appearance they lost to the Miami Dolphins 24–7 in Houston, they lost the second to the Pittsburgh Steelers in a defensive struggle 16-6 in New Orleans, and in the last Super Bowl Tarkenton would ever play, the Vikings were blown out by the Oakland Raiders 32-14 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena.

Tarkenton won the NFL's MVP award after the 1975 season, capturing All-Pro honors in the process. Tarkenton was also second Team All-Pro in 1973 and earned All-NFC selection in 1972 and 1976. He was named second Team All-NFC in 1970 and 1974. Tarkenton was selected to play in nine Pro Bowls.

In his 18 NFL seasons, Tarkenton completed 3,686 of 6,467 passes for 47,003 yards and 342 touchdowns, with 266 interceptions. Tarkenton's 47,003 career passing yards rank him 6th all time, while his 342 career passing touchdowns is 4th all time in NFL history.[8] He also is fifth on the all-time list of wins by a starting quarterback with 124 regular season victories. He also used his impressive scrambling ability to rack up 3,674 rushing yards and 32 touchdowns on 675 carries. During his career, Tarkenton ran for a touchdown in 15 different seasons, an NFL record among quarterbacks. He ranks fourth in career rushing yards among quarterbacks, behind Randall Cunningham, Steve Young and Michael Vick. He is also one of two NFL quarterbacks ever to rush for at least 300 yards in seven different seasons; the other is Tobin Rote. Inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1986. Vikings head coach Bud Grant flatly called Tarkenton "the greatest quarterback who's ever played." When he retired, Tarkenton held NFL career records in pass attempts, completions, yardage, and touchdowns; rushing yards by a quarterback; and wins by a starting quarterback.

Despite not winning a Super Bowl, he won six playoff games, and in 1999 he was ranked number 59 on The Sporting News list of the 100 Greatest Football Players. He was also known to heave the ball deep on third and long with no regard to an interception. He stated this was due to the great defense his teams had.

One of the more difficult losses of Tarkenton's career occurred during the 1975 NFC Divisional Playoffs. With what was considered by some observers[citation needed] to be the best team of their Purple People Eater era, the Vikings lost to the Dallas Cowboys 17-14 on a hail Mary touchdown pass from Dallas quarterback Roger Staubach to wide receiver Drew Pearson. The play so incensed the crowd that one fan fired a whiskey bottle from the stands, striking official Armen Terzian in the head. This was partly responsible for the banning of glass bottles at arenas around the country. Common Vikings folklore blames this incident for many future calls that referees made against the Vikings, and has been termed "Terzian's Revenge". Tarkenton also lost his father, who died while he was watching the game; it had been rumored that the "Hail Mary Pass" caused the cardiac arrest, but in fact Mr. Tarkenton died during the middle of the third quarter. It was a disappointing end to a spectacular season for the Vikings. They had finished the season with an NFC best 12-2 record and Tarkenton had won the NFL Most Valuable Player Award, and the NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award.
    That's Incredible.

Preach brother preach!! well said

Quote Originally Posted by basshole1 View Post

Proved me wrong
    Arizona still isn't a superbowl team :)
    Quote Originally Posted by MustHuntAndFish View Post
    Two things this thread reminds me of.

#1. Cutbait is still a troll.

#2. Trex still throws **** at the wall to see what sticks... Last year he said. " mark my words... Sea isnt for real"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast