Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: hit up newport bay and santa ana

Default hit up newport bay and santa ana

weather was awesome today. and the fish were biting. newport bay offered up some spotties nothing big though everything was 11 inches or so.

santa ana was awesome high tide 3.5 and there were fishies moving all around. caught a couple short halibut all in all a good day.

oh i also tried out Lucky craft new flash minnow live 120 im not impressed with it. it seams to have less action then the normal flash minnow 110. but costs $23.

i expected more action from the segmented tail not less so that is a let down.

had 2 hits on the 110 and zero on the 120.

Thanks for the report. Nice fish! Just curious, were the Spotties caught on the LC? Lol, Do you SWAT guys ever skunk?

The spotties were caught on big hammers 3 inch.. I have never seen a spotties hit an lc.. I have caught calico on the lc but not spotties.

Those swat guys are amazing they know there stuff.. I keep trying to learn from them

Hi benichi:

I am glad to see another one of your reports. Seems like it's been awhile

Great job on the butts. I love it that your trying out different things but isn't it interesting that nothing new seems to best the 110s?

Keep it up my friend!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by anchor3n1 View Post
    Hi benichi:

I am glad to see another one of your reports. Seems like it's been awhile

Great job on the butts. I love it that your trying out different things but isn't it interesting that nothing new seems to best the 110s?

Keep it up my friend!

Nick
    Lol yup I'm always looking for new thing. I'm sure the 120 live minnow will work I just didn't understand why it had less action.. as they say if it is not broke don't try to fix it hahaha..

Quote Originally Posted by benichi View Post
    The spotties were caught on big hammers 3 inch.. I have never seen a spotties hit an lc.. I have caught calico on the lc but not spotties.

Those swat guys are amazing they know there stuff.. I keep trying to learn from them
    Try that 110 at a lower tide and when the tide is ripping. When NPH is draining the current is insane because of how far the back bay extends inland. Remember that FM110 only dives 2 to 3ft. The strong tide swing will put the fish on the chew. Spotties though are really smart and hard to stick on any hardbait. Flatties in shallow water are another story though. I personally did much better tossing plastics overall inside the bay years ago when I used to tube that place every weekend. Big Hammers, creature baits and the good old dropshot ...Low and Slow baby!
    IMHO.....Save the hardbaits for the surf on the outside of the bay.

Mike

------<><
    Last edited by bones; 11-23-2014 at 06:52 PM.

Nice going on the flapjacks. Unfortunately, experimentation with LCs costs $...been there, done that. I have a few colors and models that I doubt I'll ever try again. Keep it up! Great to see your still getting out there.
    Don

Thanks for the report! I've never really had any luck with the spotties on the hardbait. I know I can always catch them on plastics especially gulp when all else fails. I've been tempted to check out the live minnow, but after your review I think I'll pass! LOL

spotties are kinda easy to catch with hardbaits during the spawn.. when they spawn, they swim up to the surface really fast, they aren't like LMB, they will eat while spawning, sometimes you'll pull up a female releasing eggs as you're holding her.