Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta smelt in lake Perris ?

Default Delta smelt in lake Perris ?

Are Delta Smelt in lake Perris......are they not Silversides ?
    found this surfing the net............and as we all know the internet is Never wrong LOL

http://californiawaterblog.com/page/10/

http://www.opinionspost.com/politica...ornia-dreamin/

spawning ??

Fishing for delta smelt has been banned since 1993, when state and federal wildlife agencies listed the species as “threatened” with extinction, a designation meant to elevate a species status to a pricey delicacy, improving U.S. trade relations with China. But the fishing restrictions apply only within the smelt’s “critical habitat,” which is limited to the San Francisco Estuary.

U.S. Fish and Wildlife officials said they are moving fast to extend the protective designation to all of Metropolitan’s reservoirs supplied by the California Aqueduct, including Lake Perris near Riverside, where some suspect smelt to be spawning on the failed parachutes littering its bottom.
    Last edited by Tom; 11-13-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Tom,

See previous Perris post on this link:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...minnows-galore!!!!
    and below your post called:
    Perris Minnows Galore - four pages long......

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Are Delta Smelt in lake Perris......are they not Silversides ?
    found this surfing the net............and as we all know the internet is Never wrong LOL

http://californiawaterblog.com/page/10/
    Check the date that first article was written. April 1st.

they are pond smelt...they look a lot like Delta smelt though.. there are also silversides and threadfin in Perris..

Pete

[QUOTE=karalm;747819]Tom,

Perris Minnows Galore - four pages long......[/QUOTE

Yup But this reports says we Do have the delta Smelt
    so who is right??
    I was at Perris today and had a nice chat with a Fish and Game guy. He tells me not only do they Think the Delta Smelt may be in Perris and lake Silverwood...... But at lake Silverwood but a fishermen last week caught a 2lb shad which he has never seen this far south.
    I forget the name but the shad people fish for up north with Jigs (not threadfin) the ones they fish for in the American river
    Also we are getting a new Game warden for trout season at Perris .... Lady Warden
    Last edited by Tom; 11-13-2014 at 04:47 PM.

[QUOTE=Tom;747858]
    Quote Originally Posted by karalm View Post
    Tom,

Perris Minnows Galore - four pages long......[/QUOTE

Yup But this reports says we Do have the delta Smelt
    so who is right??
    I was at Perris today and had a nice chat with a Fish and Game guy. He tells me not only do they Think the Delta Smelt may be in Perris and lake Silverwood...... But at lake Silverwood but a fishermen last week caught a 2lb shad which he has never seen this far south.
    I forget the name but the shad people fish for up north with Jigs (not threadfin) the ones they fish for in the American river
    Also we are getting a new Game warden for trout season at Perris .... Lady Warden
    Is she hot??

[QUOTE=Stormcrow;747880]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

Is she hot??
    LOL have not seen her yet....the old warden just told me about her....he thinks she is

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Check the date that first article was written. April 1st.
    They made a point of repeating that within the article. If true, the smelt likely traveled down the LA River with those big steelhead a number of years ago.

[QUOTE=Tom;747885]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post

LOL have not seen her yet....the old warden just told me about her....he thinks she is
    What does this have to do with anything ? You do know over the last few years we have had Female Wardens already at the lake? this is nothing new and it is discouraging to see people act this way on a forum. People need more respect, old and young

also if you read on in the Perris, minnows galore thread , it is very clearly stated by a DFW biologist that they are not delta smelt on page 3 by Kwin : There is no record of delta smelt in SoCal, though confirmed Japanese pond smelt, aka wakasagi from DVL and Perris. They look very similar to delta smelt with slight/subtle differences to gill raker counts, pyloric caeca, anal fin rays.
    Last edited by Misfitdog; 11-14-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Now im really interested to find out... I was sure they were Delta smelt...and was quickly corrected by Kwin when he insisted they were Pond Smelt.... Hes the expert so I now know them as Pond Smelt.... But if they are confirmed to be Delta smelt I wont lay down my instincts and knowledge anymore.....

But for now they are Pond Smelt....only time will tell.

As for the new female warden...give the lady a break... I don't think people should disrespect her on here.. It makes us anglers as a whole look petty and immature... IMHO

Pete

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast