Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooping Etiquette

Default Hooping Etiquette

Not looking to start a fight here, but I am curious on how everyone feels about this issue.

When hooping, how close do you all get to others? How close is too close?

Is it different when hooping breakwalls than rock piles/reefs?

I certainly have my own opinions on this, but I'd like to see where everyone else stands.

I try to give people space. I hoop from a kayak. If other kayakers are around I ask if I am too close. I have found that Most don't care. I have even had them tell me to drop right next to them, I guess they felt the more bait in the area the better. I have only been a few times and I am new to it.

On walls I think it's fine to drop near someone and I think it's just fine when someone drops near me. On a reef I'd say to stay away. If someone took the time to drive out and locate a reef and dropped on it, it's kind of a dick move to drop on them.

200' on walls, If somebody is on a smaller rock pile then move on to another spot.
    DR

Thanks for the feedback.

it comes down to safety, as far as attempting to keep ropes out of props. When it gets dark, and you can't see as well, this becomes an issue. I try to say hi to the other people that are hooping by me before dark, indicate what color light sticks I'm using, and even mention my blue and white rope that i use for it, so as not to have others pulling your traps accidentally. If some others haven't adjusted their ropes (ie they have 50 feet floating on the surface) I suggest they adjust them so as not to have them get sucked up in my, or their props later. Many people just don't know all the in's and out's of hooping. If I can help someone from my experiences, and they have a good evening, then they can help the next guy also. The last trip I took, we dropped our gear on the outside of the breakwall. The current was so strong that evening, that our traps were walking 50 yards in a matter of 10 minutes. We pulled all our gear up, and decided to hoop the inside. It was a good call, as we ended up with 15 nice ones for the evening. Within an hour of us leaving the outside, all the other boats that were out front, also came behind the breakwall to hoop.

BTW tell the illegal divers inside the harbor get the F*** away from my nets. !!! as if we dnt know ur dam spotlight is above my float and line!! maybe light m80s like they do to scare off the seals wud work!!!! if not ill throw my weighted irons down there n see what i can snag an oxygen regulator or two......
    Last edited by BALLERONBUDGET; 11-14-2014 at 11:06 AM.

When that happens, you might as well pick up your gear, and leave. You'll be in alot more trouble if you resort to your tactics.

My goal in this thread was to get dialogue started about what we all generally feel is OK and what is not OK, and hopefully both new and experienced anglers can benefit.

All great stuff here. I agree with exfactor regarding divers...you might as well pick up and move. This has happened to me before....watching them anchor up on my set, dive, then watch their spotlights go to each of my nets, one by one, all the way down my string. I'm sure most divers are good people and respect hoopers, but there are bad apples in every demographic, just a fact of life. As much as I want to act on my anger, it just isn't worth it. Imagine, making that call to your wife: "Hi dear, I'm in jail. I got in a fight over a lobster. Can you come bail me out?". Yeah, that is gonna go over well! LOL! M80's, seal bombs, iron, etc. might sound like a good idea in the heat of the moment, but remember, it's only lobster and any of the aforementioned items can seriously hurt or possibly kill someone. One solution might be to get the CF number (if they are diving from a boat) and report it to DFW (still doesn't sound right putting the "W" in there). Personally, I just move. I am not going to stop a poacher, and I would rather invest my time and energy into something positive, than wasting it on getting mad about something I can't control.

And Breakwalls...that is a tough one because they are only so big to begin with. If 15 guys all show up at dusk to hoop, there is only gonna be so much real estate to go around, ESPECIALLY if guys are in a dingy or kayak---it's not like they can realistically make a 5 or 10 mile move. That is one of the drawbacks of breakwalls. When I used to hoop the breakwalls, I would always expect the worst, and hope for the best.

Reefs/Wrecks, Etc...
    Personally, if I see somebody on a reef, wreck, or general "zone" I will give a very wide berth. I think it all depends on "the spot". If the area is a series of structure all clustered together I will not squeeze my way in. Hey, somebody beat me to it, props to that guy, I'll just move on to my second-choice spot. Some areas are big and allow for a couple boats to fish it. That being the case I usually give 500ft or so. Here too, I have seen guys get close and drop right on top of one another, and have seen divers drop in right on top of a hoopnet buoy marker. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to get rid of, or away from the bad apples. We have to fight so many factors to go hooping (bait, traffic, wife, work, fuel cost, boat repairs, weather, seals, etc), the last thing we should have to fight is each other.

just my $0.02

on walls in a harbor or breakwall, i try not to hoop too close and downswell( this is important).

If someone hoops close to me( 20 feet or less) or between my hoops, that really pisses me off.

Out in the open ocean, if they are within 100 feet or me, that irritates me as they are pretty much piggybacking off my work...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast