Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kirman Lake Cutthroats

Yeah follow links given always check special regs when fishing new Sierra lakes. I hear the wardens have been out ticketing of enders for bait use and barbed hooks.

Last time I went to Kirman, I was chased down by a bull who thought I was putting the moves on one of his cows. And then I hooked a monster cutthroat that I too fought forever and only to have it spit the hook and slowly swim away. And the beaver in that pond did not like me as well. It was quite a trip

Quote Originally Posted by muskyman View Post
    Last time I went to Kirman, I was chased down by a bull who thought I was putting the moves on one of his cows. And then I hooked a monster cutthroat that I too fought forever and only to have it spit the hook and slowly swim away. And the beaver in that pond did not like me as well. It was quite a trip
    Wow that is quite the adventure! Thanks for sharing.

Kirman is shallow at 11-12' max. Fish tend to hang in the 5-8' areas along the shorelines. Kirman is known to be good one day and shutdown the next, mainly due to the abundant food supply in the lake. Various streamers (buggers/leeches) and midges on the fly side and bouyants/kastmaster's on the spin side. Water condition also plays a roll in how good the bite is. The water can become extremely stained which slows things down. I have only fly'd there, but will have a spin setup with me on future trips to throw some metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    It's a three mile hike in mostly a gentle grade with a couple small hill and one large steep hill at the end. It isn't great for shore fishing so you'd have to carry a boat or float tube. You also have to craw over a couple fence ladders. If you have a bad foot I would say it will be challenging but worth it.

Thanks guys.
    3 miles with a tube. I admire you.

Thanks for sharing!

What, no pictures of your incredibly adorable little girl with her snoopy fishing rod? Your report is not complete,sorry! Thanks for sharing and congrats on those awesome cuts. All your reports are fantastic and I think it's ok to speak for most everyone else -Thanks for all the videos and great reports.

Quote Originally Posted by socal114 View Post
    Kirman is shallow at 11-12' max. Fish tend to hang in the 5-8' areas along the shorelines. Kirman is known to be good one day and shutdown the next, mainly due to the abundant food supply in the lake. Various streamers (buggers/leeches) and midges on the fly side and bouyants/kastmaster's on the spin side. Water condition also plays a roll in how good the bite is. The water can become extremely stained which slows things down. I have only fly'd there, but will have a spin setup with me on future trips to throw some metal.
    Yeah the water was a bit green and I can see how that would reduce fly fishing success. I actually up sized on the spoons using larger than usual for more flash and vibration. Seemed to help. I caught mine on the Thomas cyclone and colorado. My favorite trout spoon is the cyclone. Especially if it is an on and off fishery you need the spin option as sometimes off fish will hit spoons and spinners out of aggressive behavior rather than feeding instinct which can help.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    3 miles with a tube. I admire you.

Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks... I actually don't own a float tube I like taking up rubber boats. So I carry in a 9 foot Sevylor and a hand pump in a back pack with my paddles and other gear. I like trolling so feel this style of fishing is better paddling with a boat.

Quote Originally Posted by AllaboutTrout View Post
    What, no pictures of your incredibly adorable little girl with her snoopy fishing rod? Your report is not complete,sorry! Thanks for sharing and congrats on those awesome cuts. All your reports are fantastic and I think it's ok to speak for most everyone else -Thanks for all the videos and great reports.
    Thanks a lot for the feedback. The posts might become more infrequent as I'm supposed to be moving back to Canada, Vancouver bc.
    My oldest and youngest girl stayed with mom at June lake and I made the hike in alone. So no pink snoopy rod pics this time. A funny story though. We stayed at the double eagle and they have a trout pond. My daughter was messing around trying to cast into the pond when she herself went head first into the pond. Mom jumped in to save her. When I got back there were wet clothes laid out all over and I new what happened. Haha.
    Last edited by Calicanuck; 11-01-2014 at 06:11 PM.

These are from my wife's pics. Owens river.

McLeod lake hike.

Before and after falling in pond.

This is the day I went to kirman they went walking to silver lake.

Great pictures and now your report is complete. You are a very lucky man to have such a lovely family.Funny story about the incident at the Double Eagle Resort:I love that place too.

Good luck with your move to Vancouver BC. Less fishing reports from a place like that? Not likely.lol.

Happy Holidays to you and your family,

Daniel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast