Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Just checking on definition of "artificials"

Default Just checking on definition of "artificials"

Not mini-jigs? No Berkley baits ... gulp eggs ... plastic worms? ... or mice tails?

Anybody have an idea of why the Berkley - Gulps are not considered artificials?

The DFG site has a Q & A section where you can ask specific questions like this and a Warden will eventually answer you. Other option would be to call the CA Fish and Wildlife office in Long Beach and talk with a human.

Any lure that is a scented is considered bait and if the requirement is artificial's only then scented baits are not allowed.

To add to Seals accurate response....All Berkley plastics have scent(ie:Powerbait or Gulp). Therefore are illegal. You can however fish non-scented plastic worms and jigs, and remember to ALWAYS PINCH YOUR BARBS!
    Last edited by phishin phool; 11-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phishin phool View Post
    To add to Seals accurate response....All Berkley plastics have scent(ie:Powerbait or Gulp). Therefore are illegal. You can however fish non-scented plastic worms and jigs, and remember to ALWAYS PINCH YOUR BARBS!
    I got a DUHmb question ... How do I know whose worms have scent?

Thanks MUCH for the help

As far as the ones I have used only Berkley and some of Drews Customs have scent. Trout King, Lip Ripperz do not. Id rather fly fish in Sierra waters that have special regs.tho. Oh and I would recommend lures converted over to single barbless hook over plastics up there too. Just my added 2 cents....
    Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    I got a DUHmb question ... How do I know whose worms have scent?

Thanks MUCH for the help
    Last edited by phishin phool; 11-03-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks for the good poop!

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Thanks for the good poop!
    The Sierra Slammers' stuff is also scent-free....we do a lot of online business back east for that reason as many creeks and rivers have gone to barbless C&R regs or have seasons similar to what we have in the Sierras.