Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fall Owens River trout

Default Fall Owens River trout

Was up in mammoth the 25th for my nephews birthday party so I went down to the Owens to see if I could snag a few of the migrating trout from Crowley. I fished about 4 hours and got about 20, heres some pics of the nicer ones. The one next to the water bottle fought like a champ and was probably around 4lbs. If you haven't tried fall fishing on the Owens I would highly recommend it as the big Crowley trout come up to spawn. I can say I walked a long way and their wasn't a sole in sight for miles, it was an awesome experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0523-1.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	45255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0528.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	45256   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0524-1.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	45257   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0521.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	45258   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0519.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	45259  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0522.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	45260  

Very nice,

I will be there in 12 days I hope they are still around!!!

Are you willing to say what you where fishing? If not, I understand. If so, it's deeply appreciated.

yeah no problem man get your walking boots on and head to lake crowley I basically fished from the momument all the way down. When the river unloads into crowley theres a massive long deep pool holding plenty of runners. they fight ridiculously for a river trout good luck

Nice Report and beautiful fish you got there! Well it is not a secret anymore, I heard yesterday that every 20 feet of the river from the Monument to Crowley was occupied.
    Last weekend we had the whole river to ourselves. DFG was there enforcing Barbless hooks and artificials only & also expressing these are migrating fish & not to handle them too much. A few anglers ignoring the regulations fishing just above the Monument were ticketed as well as a few anglers fishing bait that we warned before DFG got there.
    Also saw a few keeping more than 2 fish & they were under 18 inches. If you going to fish this section, please be aware of the regulations before you fish..... Have fun & catch some fish!

The area you mentioned requires you to release the fish un-harmed. Sticking your fingers in their gills or laying them on the ground is not the best way to release them in a way that they will have the best chance for survival.

Nice report and looks like you got into some nice quality fish!
    I want to make one last trip before the season finishes lets see if I can

FYI: Here is the regulations for this section...!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-10-18 20.35.29.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	45266

Quote Originally Posted by trouty View Post
    Was up in mammoth the 25th for my nephews birthday party so I went down to the Owens to see if I could snag a few of the migrating trout from Crowley. I fished about 4 hours and got about 20, heres some pics of the nicer ones. The one next to the water bottle fought like a champ and was probably around 4lbs. If you haven't tried fall fishing on the Owens I would highly recommend it as the big Crowley trout come up to spawn. I can say I walked a long way and their wasn't a sole in sight for miles, it was an awesome experience.

Obviously, your catching skills far exceed your safe fish handling skills.......

glad to see some girls out there fishing. I was by myself trophy wife!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast