Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf(board) fishing

Default Surf(board) fishing

It's been over a year I think since last post, with 2-3 'short' hali trips but more interestingly, I started making outings on a 9 ft longboard. First, the report:
    Got the afternoon off and picked up leadheads and motoroil grubs in Wal-Mart- they were cheap and the size that I wanted...didn't see anything wrong with them until I was on the water: the hook points were dull - great for 'early' release- that was the plan anyway -I C&R from longboard. It started slow with small calico and a sandies at the target kelp forest in south county. Then I saw bait fish crashing after wild chase and made my way to thick outer kelp. It went wide open. In 2 h I got 8 sandies and 14 calicos, constantly repositioning and dropping down. Most were small feisty ones, at times attacking the squid -baited grub in 2-3 units at a time. Got 3 calicos over 14" and a ended the trip with a bigger sandy I decided to keep for a change. The dull hooks made it more frustrating for them , but not for me - I enjoyed their determination. Water was very warm still, clarity poor, swells 1-3 ft, a seal and few birds and a kyaker (left very quickly) were around.
    I've responded earlier about surfboard experience but will list few pros and cons about the method that come to mind:
    Good:
    1) Getting out to just about any place (as far as you feel comfortable and need to), lighter than kayak/fits in the car. If you ever surfed and sat between sets - that is what it is like + the rod, and I like to get out on flat(er) days. Good to get into and through kelp. Low center of gravity and you can turn fast with legs in the water
    2) Wear a wetsuit and don't be afraid to get wet, the only gear you have is your rod and a fanny pack with essentials, can take off the leash too (esp if plan to take off and land from sand in big swell and ditch the board) and install fish stringer instead if desired
    3) Oh, almost forgot -catching fish. And you can see action on good visibility days/or even bring a snorkel

Bad:
    1) There is no room for extra stuff - it washes away. I place rod to toward the top and pedal from sliding back position. Your reel and all will get wet. I wash them with fresh water and grease and my $30 reel is still cranking but I wish I had a salt -proof gear.
    2) Be as prepared and organized as you can: I'm getting used to retying jigs, baiting etc, but making a complex set-up on site or having troubles finding pliers all while bobbing gently and keeping balance may be good for you ab muscles but should take minimum time; not good if you easily get seas-sick
    3) 2-3 h is usually hard on your butt (unless you're on a wide -open halibut bite). You can lay on board and rest but there aren't any conveniences
    4) getting in/out can be fun- if you time poorly - hold on to you rod and then collect your board on the beach, flatter days are good confidence builders

That's what I learned so far -it is work in progress. I sometimes go with a spearfishing friend (free -diving) and he points me were to drop and I offer my board as a rest stop. I have no fish finder (except my friend) so I like to explore on board too- so many places look promising..so little time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bass1.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	45227   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bass 2.jpg 
Views:	233 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	45228  

Thanks for the post. That is awesome! What a blast that must be! When I tube harbors, I see lots of paddle boarders and I wonder what it would be like to fish from a surfboard or a paddle board.
    Last edited by GhettoBasster; 10-21-2014 at 11:47 PM.

3. Default

that is sick

Awesome board fishing, nice bass.
    DR

Awesome man....sounds exciting and a bit risky at the same time. I guess thats when the fun kicks in. Be safe bud and please post more reports. Thanks for good info efishent.

Thumbs up

A most excellent report, thank you for the great read.
    Good to see a report from you again...

Cool Report! I think I've seen some paddle boards designed for the fisherman in mind. I think it resolves some of the negatives you have listed. Looks like you had a good day of bass fishing. Very cool of your buddy to act as your fish finder. LOL

A quick surfboard chaser report: went out for a couple hours to a local man-made structure spot and got 6 sand bass , a couple went 17 and 19” , they do put a nice fight taking you rod tip for a dip. Very surprisingly I got no rockfish on the last 2 trips, usually a predominant species. In fact I don’t recall a one-species trip like yesterday, but that’s always exciting – you never know what you’re going to get.

Paddle board would be a good platform to fish from, but heavier and not as agile (oh, and you’d have to get one) compared to surfboard (got it right here). After I watched some u-tube videos of guys getting out on boards in the Central coast and north and getting big lings etc in the frigid waters with wilder ocean (swell, sharks etc.) it felt like a breeze getting out in SoCal. First time was a bit nervous but smooth sailing from there on.

9. Default

Dude, awesome. Make a video!

Hi ya efishent,

Excellent board fishing report Sir! That looks like a lot of fun.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast