Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Oregon (salmon) Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    He didn't use enough Ritz cracker wrappers on yours...
    You know, I prefer the Saltine wrappers when making my wings for any type of emerger or dun. I'll even use the sandwich wrapper from my Trimana sandwich I get for lunch. Nothing like that waxy, butcher paper type of wing. Drives them Tee-lops crazy.

Ritz cracker wrappers are more for the 'end of year' hatches, like the Gray Drake, or Flav, where you need a less opaque type of wing. Sprinkle some dust on it, and you're ready to catch.

Angel (fish) dust?

you guys should check out 2 micron thick Mylar for your fly wings.. If you can work with it. Looks awesome.

the only fly I care to tie are my new Iproved stimulators. Now that I don't lop the ends off my hackles and create sinking flies, regardless of the stimulator being a wet. tied properly, it skitters very good. Bueno para rapido agua.

Haven't even been able to tie flies in months. Maybe a year.
    Right now working on a new girlfriend so could be another ten.

i was told it's the Silver Salmon running right now up the rivers near the coast.
    I know where I'll be this weekend..
    Shoulder to shoulder with my 9mm in my backpack. Heard stuff gets ugly over there lol.

dude at work says you can catch either stealies or salmon year round if you know where to look. I manage to pump him for about one minute worth of information each day, between building these horrendous machines.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 10-28-2014 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    Angel (fish) dust?

you guys should check out 2 micron thick Mylar for your fly wings.. If you can work with it. Looks awesome.
    Micron? Mylar? Terms too difficult for me, I had to Google them.

I'll keep sending CD used Eastside Deli's butcher paper for my wings. They even have the added scent lock of Virginia smoked ham, along with a great Italian dressing embedded in the wings. No trout will be able to resist that. The added grease will make the butcher paper almost appear transparent, such as the mayfly during it's adult spinner stages.

My fly box is finally getting depleted. I'm gonna have to do something about that soon.
    Last time I both flies at bass pro down south, I spent like $70 for 8 flies. Not sure how the hell that happened but it's not gonna happen again! that's for sure.

There's a place up here called Bi-Mart where I can get flies for a buck each, but they also fall apart after two fish..
    nothing like a home tied stimi.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklejunkie View Post
    My fly box is finally getting depleted. I'm gonna have to do something about that soon.
    Last time I both flies at bass pro down south, I spent like $70 for 8 flies. Not sure how the hell that happened but it's not gonna happen again! that's for sure.

There's a place up here called Bi-Mart where I can get flies for a buck each, but they also fall apart after two fish..
    nothing like a home tied stimi.
    There's a few sites online that have some pretty decent prices. I used a company up in Oregon (Big Y Fly) that has decent prices, and good quality actually. I stocked up with them for the flies I needed for my trip last month and I was pleasantly surprised.

Or, if you like to buy in 'bulk, i.e, by the dozen, there's a big online retailer whose newsletter I subscribe to that also has good quality flies at almost 50 cents especially if you catch their sales.

I can't tie a knot, let alone a fly. And paying $2.50 at local fly shops sucks, unless it's a specific pattern I can't find elsewhere.

FINALLY scored my own private place up here in Oregon, ten minutes away from work by the Clackamas river. Now I finally have a home base to fish from and DJ/produce music again. Nice little studio with my own kitchen and bath, in a guest-house-type scenario in some cool Harley riders' back yard for $500 a month. Great deal. No wifi yet for a few more days, I'll have to upload he pics later. Kinda fitting I get a studio and then proceed to set up my music studio in it. Lol

Crashing in the truck for several months was tough work, specially while working long hours in crazy 30degree weather, but I finally did it. I'm established I'm Oregon right next to lots of great fishing waters. Took me a year. Came here last Christmas exactly. Did it all on my own.

Managed to meet a nice girl too, we went out to some crazy work party dinner of hers last night. Full suit and tie, Brazilian steakhouse where the prices aren't even listed on the menu (had to have been over $100 a plate) and they serve you fresh cut beef, lamb, chicken, bacon wrapped fillets fresh trimmed off the skewers at your choice, smoked salmon, full exotic salad bar right in the middle of bustling downtown Portland. You flip the card on the table to green for more meet and back to red when you're done. Red light green light. There was even police on riot gear patrolling the area, 30 cops in the back of a riot wagon. Kinda had me nervous! wtf they doing in downtown? Chasing off the furgies?!
    From riches to rags right back to riches.

..and now back to that leftover key lime pie and contemplating my next attack on the fishes.

"If you lose in life, it's because you lagged.
    keep up with the traffic, or you'll get dragged!
    Beneath the wheel!"
    -D.R.I.
    Last edited by tacklejunkie; 12-07-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Great read and congrats on finding a place and the bonus of finding a girl, life is good indeed.....
    I see tight lines in your future.

DANG it T/J,,,,,,,,,,,

Im getting a divorce , going bankrupt, and moving to Oregon!,,lol

WTG brother, takes character to pull that off with such a great attitude all along the way.

My hats off to ya.

TRAIL BLAZER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123