Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petition for trout plants at lower lagoon.

Default Petition for trout plants at lower lagoon.

Just came across this on another site. It's a petition to plant trout in the lower lagoon of Castaic Lake. Apparently they used to. I never went when they did, but I would go now. It'll save me a drive to San Bernardino at times.

Feel free to move it if it's in the wrong category.

Thanks,

https://www.change.org/p/steve-knigh...castaic-lagoon

The lagoon most likely isn't going to get stocked again. Fish the upper lake for trout, it might be the size of the lagoon shortly anyway.

kwin is correct that the lagoon will probably not get stocked again. It has nothing to do with the amount of signatures on a petition, it has to do with whether or not they can get a ruling turned over that the stockings will affect a native population of trout using the santa clara river and its tributaries. The native trout are there but they have been stocking area waters for decades now so what damage could be done has been done.

But I thought the creation of triploid only trout would resolve these concerns? How are they going to crossbreed if they are sterile?

Quote Originally Posted by fshnritchey View Post
    kwin is correct that the lagoon will probably not get stocked again. It has nothing to do with the amount of signatures on a petition, it has to do with whether or not they can get a ruling turned over that the stockings will affect a native population of trout using the santa clara river and its tributaries. The native trout are there but they have been stocking area waters for decades now so what damage could be done has been done.
    Dittos for lake Skinner. They are afraid that a 100 year flood would spill those nasty Rainbow Trout into the river that would then hurt the genetically identical Steelheads...

Sorry Hawgz but they are genetically distinct. DNA don't lie. However, We've been working on getting Skinner stocked again in the future. There are different criteria in place at Skinner vs the lagoon that make it far less likely for fish to be flushed downstream to compete with, breed or interact negatively with the Federally (and State) protected southern steelhead.. I'm not making promises, but I hope trout stocking can be resumed at Skinner at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Sorry Hawgz but they are genetically distinct. DNA don't lie. However, We've been working on getting Skinner stocked again in the future. There are different criteria in place at Skinner vs the lagoon that make it far less likely for fish to be flushed downstream to compete with, breed or interact negatively with the Federally (and State) protected southern steelhead.. I'm not making promises, but I hope trout stocking can be resumed at Skinner at some point.
    Well, I'm certainly not qualified to debate with our fisheries biologist re: genetics but as a lifelong freshwater angler I've always had a vested interest in our fisheries and everything I've read the claim is they are genetically the same. Can you point me to some studies that show otherwise so I can be as informed as possible on said topic? Thanks.

As for stocking Bows in our local lowland warm water reservoirs, I just hate to see Cali lose it's status as the worlds premier lunker LMB capitol, lol...

What River. It's gone is it not?

https://swfsc.noaa.gov/publications/...2006Girman.pdf

My quick scanning of this study resulted in...

"Finally, several analyses indicate that trout populations breeding in streams above
    dam reservoirs and those breeding below dams have not been heavily introgressed by
    planted trout from Fillmore Hatchery or any other hatchery stock that is derived from out
    of basin broodstock. This does not mean that there has been no influence of hatchery
    plants on any of the populations surveyed here, or that their will not be in the future, but
    only that the vast majority of fish sampled for this study are not directly descended from
    hatchery raised fish or their recent progeny."

Thanks for you input, Kwin. I have a question though: Couldn't browns be stocked in the lagoon (or Skinner, for that matter) instead? I'm no biologist, but I don't think I've heard of browns being able to interbreed with bows. Also, IIRC Skinner had been planting only Mt. Lassen "Sierra Bows", which I believe are triploids, and like Seal said, how can they possibly potentially interbreed with some downstream steelhead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast