Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: San Gabes Trip Video Report: Trashed by Gold miners, trout say goodbye

Sad. I remember throwing 1/2 oz castmasters from shore and catching nice 1-2 lb trout in the upper San Gabriel reservoir in the late 1970's. Both creeks also produced trout in season within a short walk.

I went up there the end of June. The water level was low but there was still some decent pools and fish up there. I managed to catch a couple trout for just a couple hours of late afternoon fishing. I dread to think that it's gotten even worse since then.
    Last edited by foo79; 11-13-2014 at 08:48 PM.

ok, I went up there for a couple hours yesterday morning and carpanglerdude is right - no fish to be seen. really sad.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by foo79 View Post
    ok, I went up there for a couple hours yesterday morning and carpanglerdude is right - no fish to be seen. really sad.

Thanks for the report. How far up did you go? I went probably 1.5 miles or so past the parking lot. Caught plenty of trout along that stretch last year.

Quote Originally Posted by foo79 View Post
    . One thing I will say about the lack of Trout is This........At the Frenchmans Flats I was witness to why this condition existed.........Group of non taxpaying citizens dragging a net accross and up the whole length of the stream.........What was a thriving trout fishery had become a chub Hole! SOLUTION....Public Outcry...Petitions...Office Heads in charge of protecting these resources A ROLLING...Armed Law enforcement...INS sweeps....GOOD LUCK...but having grown up in UTAH and having a passion for small stream Trout fishing I do believe the San Gabrial resources are definately worth fighting for!

trawl netting the stream? that's just sad.

carpanglerdude - I went up about 2.25 miles, just a little past the big boulder rockslide on the east side of the river. I usually don't start fishing until about 1.75 miles up from the parking lot. Yeah, last year's fishing there was pretty good.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456