Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 1st Delta trip 10-10/10-12

Default My 1st Delta trip 10-10/10-12

For my B-Day I wanted to get away for a few days and do nothing but fishing. It was either going to be Lake Powell or Ca Delta.
    So I went with the closer one of two.

So we left Thursday evening and did pretty good on time. The drive took about 7hrs from Baldwin Park after making a stop for In N Out and Re-Fuel. Our 1st
    day on the water we launched out of Holland Riverside Marina and headed south. Water temps were 71-72 with scattered clouds and slightly stained water.
    The conditions were just right on the money for reaction baits and top water which is what we all enjoy more. After a 10-15 minute boat ride we arrive at
    our 1st spot and cast out the spooks, poopers, buzz baits, the fun stuff. Right away we all hooked and caught a good 7-9 bass. They were all less than 13 inches.
    We had a wager going on for 1st fish caught over 14” and biggest fish of the day. So after 20 mins we took off to the next spot not too far from there. 1st
    cast I get a nice blow up and a miss. I throw my spook out again and wam, got em. First keeper in the boat goes to me! We fished that area for a good 2-3 hrs
    and hook up left and right. The TW bite lasted till 11am. Lot’s of doubles, Lots of dinks, few 2pounders and few 1’s… After we tried a few Docks in the area and
    had less hook ups so we went back out to the rivers. The bite was very consistent throughout the day for all of us. Once 5pm came I headed back up towards the
    area were we launched from to be nearby. So we fished the other side (north) of where we launched from and run into some stripers while working my spook. I start
    hooking up with a few small stripers and a mix of bass. And shortly Bam, caught the biggest fish of the day, Solid Striper on a spook! I didn’t weight it but I’m sure it was
    3.5-4lb range. Good enough for me to win. We fished till about 7 and took off with Big Smiles on our faces. We landed 135 Bass and 18 stripers, just a solid fun day.

The next day we head north and launch out of King Island Resort off Eight Mile Rd. After breakfast and refueling We arrive and this place looks like a mess. The
    boat ramp was steep and at a side angle and filled with that Crazy infested plant (see the pictures and You’ll see what I mean even though it was much worst).
    Once we put the trailer in the water it was a bit difficult to get my truck back out. A buddy and I both had to Sit on the tailgate in order to make it work. Our first
    stop was Disappointment Slough, 2nd stop White Slough, 3rd Islemouth Slough, It was impossible to even try and fish. The entire cove was filled with that plant, yup
    every inch of water. We left and went more north to Sycamore. By this time I took a small nap in the back of the boat and told the guys to follow my way points. I
    think I was out for 45 mins and they had caught 8 bass in that time frame. When I woke up I was still tired and decided it was time for lunch at this place we passed at
    tower park marina. After pizza and a few drinks we fished the marina area for 3 more bass and headed back to White Slough were we caught the most that am and
    better quality. We busted out the cranks baits and plastics and had a lot of hook up, a lot of doubles and a lot of fun. We caught quality and quantity. The water
    was also clear on this this side of the river compare to the 1st day. 6pm came and we headed back to Disappointment where we had a few hook up in the am and stayed
    there till 7:30 or 8pm. We left bcuz the mosquitos were bitting more than the bass. Once we got to the dock it was a headache. Yup the worst happen, tires were spinning
    out like crazy. Ramps were slippery and two of us in the tailgate was just not enough. Five minutes later a guy that was passing by saw us and asked if we could use a tow.
    Heck yeah! Tied the chains to his 4x4 and made it look to easy and after that we all enjoyed a good 30 min conversation with the fella. Very nice guy! We ended the day
    with about 85-90 Bass and a good 10-12 stripers.

The 3rd day we launched out of Windmill cove right next to the San Joaquin River. This day was more about sight scene and exploring. I actually wanted to go back to where
    we launched out of the 1st day but though why not do some exploring. So we get to the launch ramp and same deal. The cove is covered left and right and
    every inch but at least the ramp was not steep here. So once we finally made it out to the Main River we only traveled about 5 minutes west. We started out by catching
    a drift 35-45 yards from the bank and bust out the TW baits. My buddy Jaime lands a nice bass right away and Shortly I get a striper. After that we hooked up on a
    couple more and took off to Tinsley Island. It was a good 25-30 min boat ride. The winds were starting to pick up pretty good so I was thinking, maybe a bad Idea to
    go far. We went anyways and on the way there I saw an Area to hit up on the way back before we head home. We get to Tinsley and only caught one. We fished other
    areas for a few more fish. We were at 6 or 7 fish by now and it was already 10:00. We had plans to fish till noon and take off to get home at a decent time.
    So on the way back we stopped by that spot I had seen earlier. It was already really windy & the big boats were putting up some monster wakes. I thought let’s at least
    try to get to 30 in this area. I tried TW and my buddy Was throwing cranks and no love on tw, and Cranks were coming back full of salads from all directions. After 2-3 Fish in
    40min range my buddy says haha I’m going to beat you today. He was at like 6 or 7 landed and I was at 3 I think. And other guy at 2 I think. Lol I said not today. I bust out my
    go to DS bait which I did not have To use all weekend. It was already 11:15 by this time. So I went from 3 fish to 30 fish landed total in that short 45 mins of fishing. I put
    on a clinic and lot’s of back to back catches. It was a lot of fun and good way to end the trip. My buddy ended up switching to my bait after IGot to around 20 bass and he
    started hooking up too. I think he ended up with 14-16 landed and 3rd guy under 10.

This place is def a maze and a highway of nonstop rivers. GPS is a must for anyone going here, it’s very easy to get lost. We saw some very cool scenery, fished in
    some really cool areas, drove the boat through some crazy plants and caught a ton of fish. Floating mats FOREVER!!! We fished for 2.5 days and caught over 250 LMB
    and a good 30-35 Stripers. We used a variety of techniques from top water lures, cranks, jerks, spinner baits, creatures & plastics.
    Best past was, my little 17 footer/90HP boat handled the river like a champ with not one issue
    We stayed in Stockton at a Motel 6 and had no issues there. The room was very clean, cheap cost and had some fast food spots right outside
    from our room. I wanted to take more videos and take a lot more pictures but it was very hard too when all I wanted to do was Fish this cool place so I did do my
    best getting pictures. I’ll def be back very soon. Maybe Beginning of Dec

1st Keeper ftw

1st striper of the trip

Double

Biggest fish OTD for the 2nd Win!

Double

Bahaha

Resting at the Docks (shallow water anchor at work)

Trying to get to the river up ahead

Tinsley Island

Tower Park Marina, Where we ate

San Joaquin River Monster

How I slept, lol

And last, how I plan to pass my next Inspection, Let's hope they don't catch this

Nice! I used to take houseboat trip with my youth group every year there when I was a kid (mid 1990's). We used to catch tons of fish. Caught the biggest bluegill I've ever caught still to this day. And Shad the size of your hand! Great place! Nice report...

Wow, nice catch! It looks like you guys hammered them.

Be sure to get video of that next quagga inspection.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Wow, nice catch! It looks like you guys hammered them.

Be sure to get video of that next quagga inspection.
    Haha, it would have been cool to get that big Fail on video. It's all nice and clean again and good to go.

Troutsniffer welcome to the Delta, so many places to fish, so little time. Ya only got about 1700 more miles of water to check out and fish. lol
    Congrats for the making the trip, many more to come I am sure. The big ones are hiding under those mats of Water Hyacinth waiting for dinner to fall through that's why punching through it with heavy weight and 65 lb minimum line is needed to pull those hogs out. This time next month the Stripers will be turning on and a good cold snap will put the Large Mouth on the chew also. Great numbers for a first timer, even with GPS how many times did you stop and wonder where the heck you were as everything looks the same?
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 10-15-2014 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    even with GPS how many times did you stop and wonder where the heck you were as everything looks the same?
    lol Way to many times the 2nd day. Thanks, I agree, time goes by way to fast.
    Where did you guys launch from? And did that ramps have the problem I ran into?

Wow, what an awesome trip with great pics! Was it a challenge figuring out where to go with the high and low tides? I've never been, i've only heard that its amazing.....and your post appears to be evidence of that

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    lol Way to many times the 2nd day. Thanks, I agree, time goes by way to fast.
    Where did you guys launch from? And did that ramps have the problem I ran into?
    Both of my trips to the Delta I launched at Russo's Marina on Bethel Island. No problem ever with the Water Hyacinthe there. I have also rented a covered dock space with electric power each time at Russo's for $20 a day, a $10 one time launch fee and trailer storage at no charge in a secured lot. Less than 30 minutes to Disappointment Slough, Big Break, Mildred Island and other good spots in the ""Redneck Rocketship".

Quote Originally Posted by ZipperWurm View Post
    Wow, what an awesome trip with great pics! Was it a challenge figuring out where to go with the high and low tides? I've never been, i've only heard that its amazing.....and your post appears to be evidence of that
    Well I did a bit research online which is Kinda easy to understand if you've fished the tides before like in the harbors or the long beach wall. I
    kinda played it the same way there. When low tide came I drove far towards the current and still fished the same way. Both shallow and in
    15-20 ft where I love to fish. I did not notice a big difference in our hook up ratio. If there was It may have been by a small margin. This place
    is for sure Amazing. If you go once you'll want to go back sooner than soon!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Both of my trips to the Delta I launched at Russo's Marina on Bethel Island. No problem ever with the Water Hyacinthe there. I have also rented a covered dock space with electric power each time at Russo's for $20 a day, a $10 one time launch fee and trailer storage at no charge in a secured lot. Less than 30 minutes to Disappointment Slough, Big Break, Mildred Island and other good spots in the ""Redneck Rocketship".
    Russo's would have been cool to launch out of but it's to far away from the areas I wanted to fish. My boat tops out at 37 with 3 guys so
    whats 30 mins for you is maybe an hr for me in both south n north directions =( I like that they offer those extra amenities though. Maybe next
    time I'll take advantage!
    I requested a downstairs room that faces the parking and got lucky both days. Parking spot next to my room & ran a short extension cord
    to my charger and took out every piece of tackle ect. They had 2 guys there for security and even with the hoodlums on the streets I had no issues.
    Last edited by troutsniffer; 10-15-2014 at 09:31 PM.

Last year on the last day we were in Disappointment Slough and were hammering them and time got away from us. My partner said hey we only have 20 minutes till weigh in. Well we made weigh in at Russo's with 4 minutes to spare so even at WOT I think it would be well under and hour in your boat and there are good spots all along the way to all of those places. Russo's also has a motor home at the facility that they rent at the marina on a first come first serve basis along with RV hook ups and space for rent for those that have an RV or want to camp, rest room and shower for space renters.
    Last edited by DEVOREFLYER; 10-15-2014 at 09:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast