Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First tuna ever :)

Default First tuna ever :)

San Diego 1 day tuna trip
    Fish count
    Toni (Wicked) 0 landed 3 farmed
    Jose (brother) 3 landed 1 farmed
    Me 3 landed 1 farmed

For a few years now we have been wanting to go on a tuna trip and finally this year it happened. Overall I would say it was a good and fun trip but unfortunately my girlfriend didn't get to land a fish. The good thing is that it means a future tuna trip I think we also need to upgrade our gear, we kept hearing we had trout rods and coffee grinders. It was fun battling those fish with that gear, it was a tremendous fight. Some guy landed a couple nice 50+ lb fish that you see below *good thing I didn't hook into one of those

Congratulations, and welcome to tuna! I hope you ate a heart... Definitely want to get some conventional tackle. Everyone has their own likes (Shimano, Seeker) so if you can, try out some before you buy. Most landings have decent rental tackle so you might start there. Get the best you can afford, but be sure to save some bucks for the trips where you can talk to the deckhands about what would be good choices. They see it and play with it every day. Most of all, have fun!

Battlefish...congrats on your first tuna!! i'm sure it was a blast and an experience you will never forget. As Marley stated, get the best gear you can afford...farming a trophy tuna would be absolutely heartbreaking. Good luck in your future tuna endeavors, cheers!!

That is some great pics. Killer trip.
    DR

Nice job and congrats on your first, of many, to come...
    Robert
    <><

Those where some quality size Tuna there,very nice,for your first tuna trip you did great! Congrats,WTG

Cya Tuna Vic

Very cool Battlefish!!!! congrats on your first Tuna!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marley View Post
    Congratulations, and welcome to tuna! I hope you ate a heart... Definitely want to get some conventional tackle. Everyone has their own likes (Shimano, Seeker) so if you can, try out some before you buy. Most landings have decent rental tackle so you might start there. Get the best you can afford, but be sure to save some bucks for the trips where you can talk to the deckhands about what would be good choices. They see it and play with it every day. Most of all, have fun!
    Thank you Marley, I didn't eat a heart but I did get to see a couple other guys do so. Good thing I didn't my trip would have been over at that point Thanks for the advise I will definitely check some gear out.

Quote Originally Posted by basshole1 View Post
    Battlefish...congrats on your first tuna!! i'm sure it was a blast and an experience you will never forget. As Marley stated, get the best gear you can afford...farming a trophy tuna would be absolutely heartbreaking. Good luck in your future tuna endeavors, cheers!!
    Thanks Basshole1, it was definitely a trip that I will never forget. My girlfriend was bummed that her gear was not good enough and that's an experience we don't want to revisit.

Thanks Dockrat, agree on the killer trip, 100+ tuna for 35 anglers was not bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast