Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BEST YELLOWTAIL TRIP EVER on the Freedom 10/05/14

Default BEST YELLOWTAIL TRIP EVER on the Freedom 10/05/14

I went on the Freedom out of 22nd St Landing for an overnight trip to fish this past Sunday 10/5/14. We were on our way to Tanner Bank but we heard that everyone & their mama was going to be there so we joined the Thunderbird to check out San Clemente Island. Everyone was bummed out because we all wanted tunas but Captain's orders. That morning at 7 am I was brushing my teeth before sunrise & we were all anchored up already. I spat out the toothpaste & joined everyone since they started fishing.

I was the 2nd person to get hooked up & got broken off using a 15 lb leader. So I amped up to my 25 lb setup & landed a few. Suddenly everyone was landing yellowtails & we realized it was WIDE OPEN! Everyone took out their 30 lb heavy gear & it was on! It was UNREAL, they were biting on plastics, 40 lb test, & even straight spectra. I broke off my line so many times because I forgot I had year old mono on my reels. I caught 7 yellowtails total but I lost way more than that. We finished limited out at 11:20 am exactly. The cellar was stuffed, we had to store fish in the baitwells, bags, & the killbox to store everything! We literally fished for 4 hours & it took 9 hours for the crew to clean all the fish for us to take home 10 each.

My biggest yellowtail at 21 lbs & 2nd place for jackpot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1518276_363506973800442_741737036482068369_o.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	45156
    Last edited by WAHBAM; 10-07-2014 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WAHBAM View Post
    I went on the Freedom out of 22nd St Landing for an overnight trip to fish this past Sunday 10/5/14. We were on our way to Tanner Bank but we heard that everyone & their mama was going to be there so we joined the Thunderbird to check out San Clemente Island. Everyone was bummed out because we all wanted tunas but Captain's orders. That morning at 7 am I was brushing my teeth before sunrise & we were all anchored up already. I spat out the toothpaste & joined everyone since they started fishing.

I was the 2nd person to get hooked up & got broken off using a 15 lb leader. So I amped up to my 25 lb setup & landed a few. Suddenly everyone was landing yellowtails & we realized it was WIDE OPEN! Everyone took out their 30 lb heavy gear & it was on! It was UNREAL, they were biting on plastics, 40 lb test, & even straight spectra. I broke off my line so many times because I forgot I had year old mono on my reels. I caught 7 yellowtails total but I lost way more than that. We finished limited out at 11:20 am exactly. The cellar was stuffed, we had to store fish in the baitwells, bags, & the killbox to store everything! We literally fished for 4 hours & it took 9 hours for the crew to clean all the fish for us to take home 10 each.

My biggest yellowtail at 21 lbs & 2nd place for jackpot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1518276_363506973800442_741737036482068369_o.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	45156
    Great trip, that was one of our options but we headed North instead. I might still have to get in on this bite!!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-08-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Dang it!!!
    Good job nailing the YT.
    I have to get out and get some fish....BAD!!!
    Robert
    <><

Now that's a trip to remember,I always like when first timers think that's how saltwater fishing must always be!

Cya Tuna Vic

True dat tunavic. Been there done that. My first trip offshore was amazing. Limits of big albacore on my first trip. Tried to do it again the following year for a big old skunk session. But boy did that first trip get me hooked on saltwater. :)

Congrats on the great trip. Sounds like you guys really killed em'.
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 10-08-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Nice report and killer trip!! I need me some of that.

Sounds like a blast. WTG
    DR

Thank you guys, this is my 2nd year fishing so I am HOOOKED! Going out again this weekend actually, no way it will be this good but its worth a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by WAHBAM View Post
    Thank you guys, this is my 2nd year fishing so I am HOOOKED! Going out again this weekend actually, no way it will be this good but its worth a shot!
    Just a tip, GO WITH BRAND NEW LINE!!!!! It costs an average of $9 to fill up your reel. The boat cost $170, the gas $20, jackpot and sack $6, Breakfast Burrito $6, Hamburger $6, all day coffee $3, 4 beers $12, fish cleaning $20 Tip $15 Total without the new line, $256 Now how much did that line cost you????? $9 dollars. Do you see why I put fresh line on my reels every trip I go on!!!!!! It's small insurance, after spending so much!!!! lol lol lol

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    Just a tip, GO WITH BRAND NEW LINE!!!!! It costs an average of $9 to fill up your reel. The boat cost $170, the gas $20, jackpot and sack $6, Breakfast Burrito $6, Hamburger $6, all day coffee $3, 4 beers $12, fish cleaning $20 Tip $15 Total without the new line, $256 Now how much did that line cost you????? $9 dollars. Do you see why I put fresh line on my reels every trip I go on!!!!!! It's small insurance, after spending so much!!!! lol lol lol
    Lesson Learned! haha

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast