Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rod & Reel Advice

Based on your budget constraints you will get a lot more bang for your buck and end up with setup that will perform far better and last a lot longer by going the second hand route.. An old Penn 500 will likely last you a lifetime.. If you want to step up to something heavier get a Penn 4/0.. Look on ebay, CL, on the classified boards on the local fishing sites.. Also you might want to take a look in the used tackle section at your local tackle shop(s).

If you must have a new setup then I would recommend holding off and saving your money until you can afford something a little better because for $100 just about anything you buy will most likely be disposable.. You will soon be right back in the market for something better anyways.. . If you are patient and persistent enough you'll find a second hand calstar, seeker, or old sabre rod for a price with the reel that probably won't put too far over budget.. At least you will have a setup that will last as long as you need it to and if you ever wanted to get rid of it you could probably sell it for close to what you paid for it.. You will be challenged to find a new setup for less than $100 can stand up to bat rays.
    Last edited by jerryG; 10-11-2014 at 12:01 PM.

Wow a 209 for rays and sharks... This reel has small drag washers and is just not designed to handle sharks and rays.. It would probably be alright for trolling lead core for trout maybe even lead core for light stripers but a bat ray of any size 15 lbs or better is going to be a real challenge with the 209.. You may be able to turn the handle but you will notice your not turning the spool.. The fact that it is really low geared (3:1) actually may help give the reel a little more torque but the drags make it a gutless wonder at best.. Regardless I hope it works out for you and I wish the best of luck..

I appreciate the advice & help from all of you.

Remember, I have plenty of heavier gear. I just need to fill a void in my collection. I want something that will be more challenging than cranking in Smoothies & Leopards with heavier gear. One way I can avoid big bats, is to not use squid. I have never caught one on anything else.

Try eBay. Everything is there. Cheapest to most expensive. Happy hunting! :)

The I would be after are Leopards & Soups, along with the larger Smoothies in San Diego Bay. I can use the heavier gear for Bats.

On youtube their are vids with guys using Ambassaduers for Leopards & Sevens in San Francisco Bay. I thought that was surprising.

Anyway, I am listening to you guys. As I mentioned earlier, I'll not use squid w/lighter rigs. I've never caught a Bat on anything other than squid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12