Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: The Eagle has landed on slug yellowtail.

Default The Eagle has landed on slug yellowtail.

I'll start with a Joe Friday. (Just the Facts) The Boat the Pacific Eagle out of Ventura sportfishing. When Oct 6, Where Deep Hole (otherwise known as County line) layman terms upper Malibu not more then 3 miles off the beach. You could see the cars driving down Pacific coast highway. We were so close to the shore there were Kayakers out there and rubber boats. The fish, SLUG YELLOWTAIL!!!!! We all have heard the term cookie cutter size fish, these were them all #23-28 lbs. These were slightly bigger then the Horseshoe Kelp yellowtail we caught last week!!!!!! The bait, LIVE SQUID on a dropper loop with a 12 ounce weight.

On to the fishing!!!!

The Boat left the harbor at 4:00 am and headed south. Around 10 miles down the coast we ran into our first squid boat, he was nice enough to let us in and scoop our bait for the day. As we continued heading south, I could see a whole fleet of squid boats off in the distance. Now I know why these things are there!!!!!!!! We got there just a little bit after first light, all the sportfishing boats were fishing together at the edge of this very large fleet of squid boats. I noticed no other boats were getting bit yet, so I wasn't in any big hurry to get my bait to the bottom. Big mistake!!!!!! As I waited for the other fishermen to get their squid at the bait tanks. I hear "HOOK UP" being yelled all over the boat!!!!!! Crap and I don't even have a bait in the water, I knew it was wide open!!!!! So I went up to the bow to get away from everyone and dropped my line and waited. It didn't take long and I was hooked up!!!!! After the usually fight they threw my fish on deck. It was the biggest one I caught all day easy #28 lbs!!!!! Threw another bait out and hooked up again. I took my friend Glen with me again, and he was hooking up also. We had 4 yellowtail on the deck in the first 45 minutes, all slugs!!!!!!!! Now the fish started to back off on their biting. They would come thru in waves, biting 3-8 fish at a time. It was all over by 10:00 am, Glen and myself had 7 yellowtail in the sacks and Glen won the jackpot of $220 bucks!!!!! The final boat count was 56 yellowtail for 22 anglers, ALL SLUG YELLOWTAIL!!!!!!!
    Last edited by etucker1959; 10-07-2014 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks for your report! Sounds good to me a 28# YT would make my day for sure.

that's awesome! 23-28 lb yellows are slugs...love the way they battle!
    thanks for sharing and kudos for taking you buddy fishing who just happened to win the jackpot!
    doesn't get any better than that.

alex.
    Last edited by madbass; 10-10-2014 at 03:17 PM.

Nice job out there Bro!!
    You've been picking the right boats at the right times...
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><>

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Nice job out there Bro!!
    You've been picking the right boats at the right times...
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><>
    Thanks, I do have a system for picking boats. Just like handicapping horses!!!!! lol

DAAAMMM Nice grade YTs Tucky. WTG
    DR

Wow,you guys are getting on some great bites,that Horseshoe trip and now this one very nice,tell Glen congrats on the JP!

Cya Tuna Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Wow,you guys are getting on some great bites,that Horseshoe trip and now this one very nice,tell Glen congrats on the JP!

Cya Tuna Vic
    Thanks!!!!! I definitely tell Glen, he is a good fishermen!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DockRat View Post
    DAAAMMM Nice grade YTs Tucky. WTG
    DR
    The size of these things along the coast this year is amazing!!!!!! I'm turning down Island trips with my other buddies just to chase these slugs.

There are definetly some sluggo LMB in Murietta !