Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone running DEPS slide swimmers?

Quote Originally Posted by P.A.W. View Post
    Maybe DarkShadow?
    Hell naw, I wouldn't buy a SS250 for that price. I've got FIVE kids to feed.

I did buy one a few years ago, but that's when I got a used one on Ichiban for a whopping, $105, in the 'rainbow trout' pattern.

http://www.ichibantackle.com/showpro...YPE%20SS%29%20[USED]&manufacturename=DEPS

When the "Butch Brown 200% Markup Edition" was released, I asked the boys at Deps at the Bassathon what the difference was between this new version and the original Slide Swimmer they have been selling in Japan for 2+ years for half the price, and was flat out ignored. Some "pro staffers" tried to tell me it was "hand tuned" and that it was a "special colorway" and aside from the costlier version having a bit more of a 'matte' finish than the original rainbow color they had already produced, it was no different. Deps just learned how consumers react in this part of the world. Reduce production to fake demand, get a high profile celebrity endorsement, use marketing tactics like "Limited Quantity, or Only ONE Deps per shopper!!" and voila.

So yes, I do own one, but no, i didn't take out a second mortgage to buy one.

Hand tuned Butch Brown yup that one gets a bunch of chuckles! I see just about everybody tossing them and that is a lot of guys that don't even have jobs and younger kids. The hype is ridiculous then you see the guys that have many of them catching the majority of their fish on Huds. and Punker's.

I never bought into it but finally got on a waiting list, that was many months ago, I'm still on the waiting list. Now a new version is coming out, injected, so Deps should release a few and they will be popping up all over Ebay again soon.

Go buy a couple Huds., save a ton of money, catch fish.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Now a new version is coming out, injected, so Deps should release a few and they will be popping up all over Ebay again soon.
    Can someone verify that their previous versions weren't injected as well? You have to inject plastic into a mold, don't you? It wasn't like the Lunker Spelunker that had the wooden version and then the less expensive "injected" (aka, plastic) version. I wonder if they're going to release the same bait, lower the price point since they're not pushing as many any more, then claim the price decrease was due to the new 'injected' process.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Go buy a couple Huds., save a ton of money, catch fish.
    But Butch Brown is no longer endorsed by Hudd. :-( Therefore, those baits aren't good anymore.

Wanna see something hilarious?

http://depsweb.co.jp/product/250/250.html

Scroll all the way down to get the MSRP.

MSRP? ¥7,600

That converts to what about $70? I have no idea about the injected deal.

I have a slide 250 and the new 175 as well... the injected model was supposed to make them easier to get and more affordable. weather that's the case ill let you be the judge...

the older versions seem to be wood, I could be wrong but the material used is night and day different on the old and new

as for the turners deal its the 175 and a 150 buck gift card for the 259 price.. lame as can be if you ask me.... Support local core shops not corpo crap!

Quote Originally Posted by gogreeenz4 View Post
    the older versions seem to be wood, I could be wrong but the material used is night and day different on the old and new
    Mine feels the same as the new ones. A 'soft' outer, molded onto a plastic foundation.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Hell naw, I wouldn't buy a SS250 for that price. I've got FIVE kids to feed.

I did buy one a few years ago, but that's when I got a used one on Ichiban for a whopping, $105, in the 'rainbow trout' pattern.

http://www.ichibantackle.com/showpro...YPE%20SS%29%20[USED]&manufacturename=DEPS

When the "Butch Brown 200% Markup Edition" was released, I asked the boys at Deps at the Bassathon what the difference was between this new version and the original Slide Swimmer they have been selling in Japan for 2+ years for half the price, and was flat out ignored. Some "pro staffers" tried to tell me it was "hand tuned" and that it was a "special colorway" and aside from the costlier version having a bit more of a 'matte' finish than the original rainbow color they had already produced, it was no different. Deps just learned how consumers react in this part of the world. Reduce production to fake demand, get a high profile celebrity endorsement, use marketing tactics like "Limited Quantity, or Only ONE Deps per shopper!!" and voila.

So yes, I do own one, but no, i didn't take out a second mortgage to buy one.

The Butch Brown ones are hand tuned by Butch himself. Believe it or not it makes a huge difference, but they were in short supply hence the crazy prices. You can send any SS250 to Butch and he will hand tune it for you I believe for a small fee. It made a huge difference at Castaic last year when when ToadsOnly and I were wacking 15Lb + stripers on them.

BTW Dark...I still have some Pogs, and Beaniebabies for sale....interested?
    Last edited by Stormcrow; 10-06-2014 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    The Butch Brown ones are hand tuned by Butch himself. Believe it or not it makes a huge difference.
    What exactly is involved in the process of 'hand tuning' by Butch?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    What exactly is involved in the process of 'hand tuning' by Butch?
    Change in weighting. He will get it to suspend for you at the depth you choose...he changes the hooks and makes adjustments to the bait at the joint.

Hes also one of the nicest famous guys in fishing that I ever met....

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    ...he changes the hooks and makes adjustments to the bait at the joint.
    Ahh, ok.

How does he get it to suspend for you at the depth you choose?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast