Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big bear troutfest

Quote Originally Posted by JAG107 View Post
    I think the west public ramp closes this week or may already be closed, the east ramp will close in early Nov, check the BBMWD site for dates. IIRC it's pretty much over by end of Oct usually.
    Thanks for the info.

All my fish came from the West end, and I think that was true for most. I know a few people hooked up on the East End in the triangle. I only have two lead core rods, and my trolling speed is too fast, so I'm sure that didn't help. From my experience, I catch the best fish in Spring, but I've also had good success in June (fishin for 50k). The quality and volume of fish is better.

Does anyone know the ideal trolling speed for BBL?

East ramp closes for the season at 3:00 PM on November 30.

When I'm trolling Big Bear I have caught a lot of fish at speeds of anywhere between 1.25 to about 3 mph, it really varies every trip I've been there. I have trolled quite a bit around the charter guys and they seem to troll a bit on the faster side. The best thing to do is not keep a constant speed, I like to make a lot of sudden burst of speed to a action to the lures, and also I like to make a lot of S curves.

Blair

Troll speeds depends on the lure usually. Speedy shiners work best over 2mph for me, where needlefish work better at 1.2-1.8. I have had minimal success with cranks (rapalas, etc) at any speed. The color, size and shape of the spoon seems to be more important than the speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Something Fishy Here View Post
    East ramp closes for the season at 3:00 PM on November 30.
    Thanks for the 411, I got some time to make it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Doghunter View Post
    When I'm trolling Big Bear I have caught a lot of fish at speeds of anywhere between 1.25 to about 3 mph, it really varies every trip I've been there. I have trolled quite a bit around the charter guys and they seem to troll a bit on the faster side. The best thing to do is not keep a constant speed, I like to make a lot of sudden burst of speed to a action to the lures, and also I like to make a lot of S curves.

Blair
    I'm running a 50 merc, thinking about putting a troll plate on to slow her down. I may get a hand held GPS to figure just how fast I'm going, I too get bit on the inside rod mostly when making s turns my flashers get that sweet zone and bam a hit.

I'm running an 18hp on a 14' aluminum boat and the small trolling plate easily takes the speed down to about 1.2 mph. I also have a Lowrance 5 series fish finder with GPS on it. I find that I'm constantly watching my fish finder and watching the speed I'm trolling at, and also all the other info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12