Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Why does the ACLU but not veterans get to decide how memorials for veterans are run

Default Why does the ACLU but not veterans get to decide how memorials for veterans are run

Last edited by Bucket; 10-01-2014 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Why does the ACLU but not veterans get to decide how memorials for veterans are run
    They don't. They represented clients who were, in fact, veterans.

The decision was handed down by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns.

I understand the logic behind the ruling, but I am disappointed nonetheless. I don't know the details of the transfer of ownership from the city to the federal government, but I don't understand why the land couldn't have been sold or transferred to a private owner, thus protecting the landmark.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    They don't. They represented clients who were, in fact, veterans.

The decision was handed down by U.S. District Judge Larry Burns.

I understand the logic behind the ruling, but I am disappointed nonetheless. I don't know the details of the transfer of ownership from the city to the federal government, but I don't understand why the land couldn't have been sold or transferred to a private owner, thus protecting the landmark.

It was a small group of jewish veterans who were against it and the rest were people who have no business at all. It still does not make sense because they only represent a minority of the veterans who were against it, what about the majority. The ACLU had a political agenda and it starts with a big O.

It's everyone's business, regardless of the opinion of any particular person or group.

"Big O"?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Quagga View Post
    It's everyone's business, regardless of the opinion of any particular person or group.

"Big O"?
    My point is my majority of the people with you included wanted it there however for political reasons the minority got what they wanted.

My point is my majority of the people with you included wanted it there however for political reasons the minority got what they wanted.
    The Jewish soldiers gave their lives for our country too. So, how exactly do the 'Christians' lives carry more weight? And what is "O"?

Yeah, it's funny how the Constitution works.

And I didn't say I wanted the cross. The fact is I agree in principle with the decision, but am disappointed that an alternative solution could not be reached.

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
    The Jewish soldiers gave their lives for our country too. So, how exactly do the 'Christians' lives carry more weight? And what is "O"?
    Most of the people serving are Christian. If that's how you feel Pcuser why don't you pull out all the crosses at Arlington. I respect the Jewish soldiers or whatever religion ,belief, or nonbeliefs they have but why ruin something for everyone else. They could have put a Jewish statue up there if they wanted to but they didnt

Most of the people serving are Christian. If that's how you feel Pcuser why don't you pull out all the crosses at Arlington. I respect the Jewish soldiers or whatever religion ,belief, or nonbeliefs they have but why ruin something for everyone else. They could have put a Jewish statue up there if they wanted to but they didnt
    Pulling the crosses out at Arlington? Did you do your research? The VA offers dozens of authorized faith emblems for headstones and markers at Arlington, and thus is not in violation of the Establishment Cause.