Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2014 Pyramid Lake, Nv Opener ?'s

Quote Originally Posted by vegas fish slayer View Post
    I did the opener last year we fished pelican and popcorn both and caught fish at both. No giants but 3-6lbers. I fished all the bullshit everyone says to use like the spoons and the big stupid beetle thing for nothing on opening day. Day 2 busted out my phoenixs with 2lb threw mini jigs all day as well as drug plastics around and smashed 'em. Everyone told me I couldn't land fish in pyrAmid on 2lb from my tube. F them !!!! I hooked one fish close to the rocks and got sawed off but who knows don't waste a bunch of effort the fish will be deep with a few stragglers kinda close to shore. In my opinion your way better off hitting sierras.pyrAmid won't be worth fishing from shore till atleast Xmas if not new years.

the only way i fish pelican or popcorn is with my waders and a ladder set up...

I usually do best with baitfish imitations that i can huck way out there into the depths....

but i have found ANY color, or brand spoon 3/4 ounce or bigger that you get out in the depths will catch fish too.... the biggest key ive found/ seen is the people who reel in the fastest catch more fish..i watch people try to jig...try to slow reel and get nothing, ill litterally reel twice as fast as anybody else...REEL REEL REEL REEL quick pause REEL REEL REEL jerk jerk REEL REEL REEL pause so on so forth...

Faster has always been better for me here, even been on a guide trip here and they troll twice as fast as ive seen anywhere else.

also, be sure all your Hooks are BARBLESS. it is a barbless only lake and if a big ol engine comes and catches you with barbs there is a hefty fine.... be sure you know all the rules and regulations here as it is anan indian reservation, they take theyr **** seriously. and if you dont already know, for us non paiute peoples, it is LURES only, absolutely no type of bait, no smelly jelly, no nothing, you can try, but i wouldnt, ive seen people get fined, all gear convinscated, and kicked out for good.

If you have never been here and plan on only going once in your life, pay $100 for a guide, get out on a boat... dont just go yourself, its well worth $100 to take a guide...

but if you dont and you fish from shore, Im gonna tell you IMO that blockhouse beach is the best damn shore spot anywhere on this lake, just to the left of the boat ramp.

get a rig where you can cast out a mile... you need to huck your **** out like your joe montana throwing a superbowl winning touchdown pass....then you let your line out....you will litterally have 200+++ yards of line out by the time it hits bottom.... then start bringin her in, ive caught fish like this in near 100 degree weather, and -8 degree weather with snow falling... change colors, spoons, lures, whatever your using frequently (if you dont get a fish in say, 20 casts its time to change).......

as far as fishing line, if im using spoons ill go 10-12 lb test.... if im using heavier 2-3 ounce lures im using 15 lb test... its fun catching these cuts on lighter gear but considering they have pretty sharp teeth i would stay away from the lighter gear, i even clip my lures direct to a metal swivel to keep them that much further from my line. plus, I would love to see someone catch a 20+ lb cutt on 2 lb test.... fight of a lifetime...and real heart breaking when that line snaps. they are not line shy, no reason for it..

I moved up here to reno over a year ago, have fished pyramid almost every weekendd other then off season, my older brother has fished it eevery year for 6 years... if you have any questions feel free to PM'

OH, and if your in reno, TAHOE is a 5 star fishing experience (FROM A BOAT) go catch a huge mackinaw!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150688_10202857154983724_5377910390692372948_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	45140
    Last edited by DangerFishin; 10-06-2014 at 08:59 PM.

YGM ... from a local yocal

Quote Originally Posted by DangerFishin View Post
    Blockhouse beach goes out shallow about 6 ft and then its an instant drop off, i have been there on a boat its 70+++++++ ft in the drop off....

best summer time shore spot for me.
    Thanks for the write up Danger...very detailed and much appreciated....Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    YGM ... from a local yocal
    YGM?? I'm sorry but I don't follow. Care to elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by DangerFishin View Post
    the only way i fish pelican or popcorn is with my waders and a ladder set up...

I usually do best with baitfish imitations that i can huck way out there into the depths....

but i have found ANY color, or brand spoon 3/4 ounce or bigger that you get out in the depths will catch fish too.... the biggest key ive found/ seen is the people who reel in the fastest catch more fish..i watch people try to jig...try to slow reel and get nothing, ill litterally reel twice as fast as anybody else...REEL REEL REEL REEL quick pause REEL REEL REEL jerk jerk REEL REEL REEL pause so on so forth...

Faster has always been better for me here, even been on a guide trip here and they troll twice as fast as ive seen anywhere else.

also, be sure all your Hooks are BARBLESS. it is a barbless only lake and if a big ol engine comes and catches you with barbs there is a hefty fine.... be sure you know all the rules and regulations here as it is anan indian reservation, they take theyr **** seriously. and if you dont already know, for us non paiute peoples, it is LURES only, absolutely no type of bait, no smelly jelly, no nothing, you can try, but i wouldnt, ive seen people get fined, all gear convinscated, and kicked out for good.

If you have never been here and plan on only going once in your life, pay $100 for a guide, get out on a boat... dont just go yourself, its well worth $100 to take a guide...

but if you dont and you fish from shore, Im gonna tell you IMO that blockhouse beach is the best damn shore spot anywhere on this lake, just to the left of the boat ramp.

get a rig where you can cast out a mile... you need to huck your **** out like your joe montana throwing a superbowl winning touchdown pass....then you let your line out....you will litterally have 200+++ yards of line out by the time it hits bottom.... then start bringin her in, ive caught fish like this in near 100 degree weather, and -8 degree weather with snow falling... change colors, spoons, lures, whatever your using frequently (if you dont get a fish in say, 20 casts its time to change).......

as far as fishing line, if im using spoons ill go 10-12 lb test.... if im using heavier 2-3 ounce lures im using 15 lb test... its fun catching these cuts on lighter gear but considering they have pretty sharp teeth i would stay away from the lighter gear, i even clip my lures direct to a metal swivel to keep them that much further from my line. plus, I would love to see someone catch a 20+ lb cutt on 2 lb test.... fight of a lifetime...and real heart breaking when that line snaps. they are not line shy, no reason for it..

I moved up here to reno over a year ago, have fished pyramid almost every weekendd other then off season, my older brother has fished it eevery year for 6 years... if you have any questions feel free to PM'

OH, and if your in reno, TAHOE is a 5 star fishing experience (FROM A BOAT) go catch a huge mackinaw!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10150688_10202857154983724_5377910390692372948_n.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	45140
    Wow man thanks. I just might take you up on some of that info next spring when we head up that way

absolutely, love to help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Piss on Myspace View Post
    Thanks for the write up Danger...very detailed and much appreciated....Cheers!

YGM?? I'm sorry but I don't follow. Care to elaborate?
    Sorry for the computer lingo ... YGM means "You've got mail" ... i.e. I sent you a message

Sorry for the trouble ... my mail box needed to emptied

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12