Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Yellowstone National Park

Quote Originally Posted by NFCD I View Post
    I've been going up to Montana and Idaho every year for the past 10 years. Make sure you fish the Madison River between Hebgen and Quake Lake. In May, we caught 50+ Bow's and Brown's in less than 18" of water one afternoon.
    The problem with the park is the fact it is HUGE. The western part of the park, like what you mention above, just got off of "Hoot Owl" restrictions which means that the water was so hot that fishing was off limits from 2 pm till midnight.

But, apparently the season is ahead about 2 to 3 weeks, so this may open up some areas on the western side, and that specific stretch has been on my radar. Then again, 1000 other stretches have also been on my radar, so it's not saying much. I'm still debating entering from the South side of the park, and having my way with some of the watersheds in the Cascade Corner.

Thanks for the report, lodging info and pictures Dark Shadow. I was there the around the second week of August in West Yellowstone. Most of the rivers on that side of the park were unfishable due to the water temp. I tried my luck on the Yellowstone inside the park and the Madison below the lakes but didn't catch anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky1 View Post
    Thanks for the report, lodging info and pictures Dark Shadow. I was there the around the second week of August in West Yellowstone. Most of the rivers on that side of the park were unfishable due to the water temp. I tried my luck on the Yellowstone inside the park and the Madison below the lakes but didn't catch anything.
    Yeah, the high water temps probably accounted for the slow fishing you may have experienced in August. If I had been in your shoes, I would've concentrated my efforts in the Northeast section of the park, which traditionally fishes well when the west side of the park is roasting. You have the Lamar, Soda Butte, and smaller tribs available.

I'm curious where you fished the Yellowstone inside the park. The one section I was lucky to run into fished amazing last year, and I had the chance to throw big terrestrials at the cutties. Nothing like seeing a hunk of foam drifting gingerly down river getting annihilated.

I'm hoping my late September planning gets the fish on the West side more active than they were during the heat of the summer. Regardless, it'll be great getting outta this 100 degree weather and into some real Fall temps.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345