Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone National Park

Default Yellowstone National Park

The mental batteries needed some recharging after the hustle and bustle of LA life. A quick drive to Yellowstone National Park made it all better.

Spent a week in the park, and honestly spent more time viewing the sites, than fishing. But, the fishing varied, and success was based on your presentation. The last day of my vacation, I decided to fish the creek that was 10 yards away from my cabin, and found more willing biters of the 12" variety that you can shake a stick at. Our local creeks would have been feeling inadequate.

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so I'll stop talking now.

And that's Day 1 before we even got a line on the water!

I did fish, really, I did.

"There was nowhere to go but everywhere, so just keep on rolling under the stars."
    -- Jack Kerouac

Awesome photos! Colors are amazing - saturations reminds me of the old days shooting Velvia.

I need to get up there at least once in my lifetime. Which cabins did you stay in, and did you like them?

Great picture....not sure why you bothered with those nasty yellowstone cutthroat....;-)

Beautiful pictures of a great vacation, at the right time of year! Thanks for sharing them DarkShadow.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Awesome photos! Colors are amazing - saturations reminds me of the old days shooting Velvia.
    It was either that or my Lomo! But in reality, HDR capabilities of new cameras nowadays are pretty fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Which cabins did you stay in, and did you like them?
    We stayed in Silver Gate, Montana, which is just a stone's throw away from the Northeast entrance.

A word of advice is that getting from the Western entrance (which is the most common for us SoCal folk) is about a 2 to 3 hour drive in the park, depending on bison traffic, and the "HOLY ***** WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT I NEED A PICTURE!" that happens every mile or so.

http://www.pineedgecabins.com

That's the place, and the prices are EXTREMELY reasonable after doing some research on lodging near and around the park. If you're taller than 6'0", the cabin may seem a bit claustrophobic, but all we needed was a place to sleep, a place to cook, and a place to shower. We stayed in Whispering Pine #6. I left a killer grasshopper pattern in the fridge for any lucky angler who may need it, and a cold Montejo.

The cabins were more than enough. The best part? NO CELL PHONE SIGNALS, NO TVS, NOTHING BUT NATURE! My phone was turned off for the entire trip, and even on the drive home, I had it off. There are 3 major tributaries within a 20 minute drive, and don't overlook the feeder creeks.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpotty View Post
    Great picture....not sure why you bothered with those nasty yellowstone cutthroat....;-)
    Doc,

I'm afraid I will need some counseling getting back home and having to deal with refined rainbows that we have around here. Our 'bows will inspect a fly 12 times before not hitting it.

Those Yellowstone Cutts are suicidal! They approach dry flies so slowly, so methodically, that I needed some Maalox to relieve the acid in my stomach that the anxiety caused in those few seconds as they came up to annihilate the foam.

Those photos are amazing. Are you a professional photographer or is the beauty so intense it's hard to take a bad picture. In any case, it sounds like a great vacation, fishing and otherwise. Thanks for posting...

Quote Originally Posted by pcuser View Post
    Those photos are amazing. Are you a professional photographer or is the beauty so intense it's hard to take a bad picture. In any case, it sounds like a great vacation, fishing and otherwise. Thanks for posting...
    I'm not a professional photographer. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I have to know?? Photography is my main hobby. Is it cell phone or camera ? Which ever they are great work.

WOW...those are some really amazing photos. That last one you took is INCREDIBLE. What kind of camera were you using?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast