Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First catch..Santa Monica Pier

Default First catch..Santa Monica Pier

Hey, I caught my first lobster, hoop netting off of santa monica pier last night. I heard from my coworker, that I can't eat it since it have dies, is this true, it been over 12hrs? I caught the lobster around 10pm, by the time I got home around midnight, I think it might have been dead. I put it in the refig not the freezer. So is it still safe to it eat it?

you should always kill it by using a knife to cut between its eyes ... if you stuck it in the freezer before it was dead then your probally ok

Huh? So you have to eat it alive?? lol

You're gonna eat something from the Santa Monica Bay? :shock:

Give it to me, I'll eat it!!!!

One_Leg

PS, congrats on your first bug from the bay.

Quote Originally Posted by synenergy52

from what i have read... a lobster releases a toxin when it dies slowly ruining the meat .. but if you kill it by cutting the head between the eyes they die instantly and you will not have this problem

too late, I ate the lobster for lunch...just steam it and dip it in lemon and pepper with chili..taste good...me still alive and feeling good...I let you know if anything happen to me by this weekend other than losing money in las vegas.

Good for you. Can I have your car, and fishing gear?

One_Leg

I have brought home many lobsters and left in the ice chest for a day or two(with ice). They sometimes are still alive the morning after catching but sometimes not. They are always dead after a day out of water.
    Cleaned em, left the tail in the fridge for another day or so and cooked em. ALWAYS taste awesome. Never had a problem even 3 days after catching. So I call BS on toxins ruining the meat.

Way to go on the legal from the pier. I was diving opening night, lost my dive bag 20 minutes in and was 0-4 on the keepers I saw and"tried" to catch (too many beers and too late at night).
    Went Sunday and caught one. Then Tuesday got skunked. Hopefully tomorrow night......?

Quote Originally Posted by Wildhorse1966
    Quote Originally Posted by synenergy52

from what i have read... a lobster releases a toxin when it dies slowly ruining the meat .. but if you kill it by cutting the head between the eyes they die instantly and you will not have this problem
    That's good to know! I never knew that before. Is it the same way with crabs??

Fisher-of-Men

Quote Originally Posted by Lobsterboy
    I was diving opening night, lost my dive bag 20 minutes in and was 0-4 on the keepers I saw and"tried" to catch (too many beers and too late at night).
    Went Sunday and caught one. Then Tuesday got skunked. Hopefully tomorrow night......?
    Just stuff em into your wetsuit.

Do you sweep your arm in to get them, or do you catch them with a Sig Heil salute? They can easily sense your hand coming when you sweep for em. Just get close enough to reach em, and BAM. It's in the bag, er, um, wetsuit, as the case may be.

One_Leg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast