Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: OC Regional Park Double Digit Pig!

Default OC Regional Park Double Digit Pig!

Went out to centennial park yesterday to try out some new gear before work. I was the only person fishing fishing from about 11am to 12:30pm. I wanted to try out nanofil line to see how I liked it. I tried the 10lb sized and I have no complaints. I tied on a 3 foot 2lb litter and started with the drop shop setup. I used the clear/white line and I thought it was highly visible but it did not seem to bother the fish. I caught a bunch of bluegill, tiny bass and green sunfish. They water was really murky so I think this helped hide the line. The sensitivity was great and I didn't have any problems with the nanofil slipping or breaking. I did notice that when I tired my first knot there was some fraying that happened on the nanofil but I just retied and it was fine.

I then switched setups to try throwing the lc flash minnow around for to see how it felt using straight 40lb power pro braid. After about 20 cast I hook into a monster. I wasn't sure what I had hooked into but it felt heavy and pulled like a freight train. I had the drag locked down and when she wanted to go she was just stripping line off my reel. I seemed to have little control over the beast and was at the mercy of the fish and my gear. The battle lasted about 8 minutes before I landed this monster.

The fish was quickly photographed and release to fight another day.
    This is my first carp and she tipped the scale at just over 12 lbs. She was foul hooked in the tail but I guess lc can catch any species. I left after the release because I didn't think anything else was going to top that fish for the day. Sorry for the poor picture quality and thanks for reading!
    Last edited by fishfrenzy; 09-25-2014 at 10:55 AM.

NICE, ive fished that lake with no luck, awesome to see there is fish, great job on the double digit!!!!

Tony G

Thanks Tony! This was my 3rd time to that park and I was discourage also but yesterday was the first time I saw any bass and sunfish. Have you ever fished the park off segerstrom?

I like how you purposely left out the fact that it's a carp. I was like "Sweet, a huge bass from the OC!" then I was like.. "man, carp are lame"

Lol, im jk, honestly. I enjoy fishing for carp (when they arent picky little..). The smaller ones are quite acrobatic :)

You know placing your spinning reel directly in the dirty will destroy ur reels if sand gets into your bearings

Nice Carp, WTG.
    DR