Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Overnite on the Triton 9-21-2014

Default Overnite on the Triton 9-21-2014

First time on this boat. Ultra limited to 20 anglers but that was pushing it, IMO. Great captain who was always working to find fish and always communicating with the anglers. Great crew who were always there to help. Cook seemed like he was having an off day. Like he was hungover or something, lol.

Anyway, slow day. I got 4 bites. Went 2 for 3 on the schoolie YFT and got one micro Yellow. I would have had the 3rd tuna on the boat if the crewman would have got it with the gaff on the first attempt. Oh well that's "fishing". I was on a "katch and kill" mission so I got all the meat I needed for the trip anyway.

Had Hammerhead sharks swimming around the boat a few times. Two were hooked and almost spooled the anglers that hooked them. Kind of a lack of life out there. We started near the Mackerel Bank then eventually ended up near the Avalon Bank at the end of the day. Lots of off color water but the crew said that the fish have been biting in that just fine. Water temp had cooled a few degrees overnite too so I'm sure that didn't help us. Very few kelps out there.

Seems like it's an afternoon bite lately so I think a 1.5 day trip makes more sense so that you can fish until dark.

Congrats on the two YFT. Fished the Triton on 9/14 on a 5-5 Tuna trip as well. Captain Ryan is a good hard working captain. Fished his other boat the Gail Force on 9/21 and did very well at the island. Gail Force crew was excellent! Thanks for the report.

Thanks for the report.
    DR

thanks for the report..
    congrats on the fish, at least you got some. I hear good things about the Triton.
    I'm glad that the crew and captain are helpful, that could make for a good day even if you don't catch as many fish.
    think I might jump on this boat. appreciate the intel.

alex.