Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tuna out of oxnard?

Default tuna out of oxnard?

I saw that the boats out of oxnard 1.5 day day trips are landing yellowfin, anyone know the general area?

I was planning on going south but if they are this far north then I could save a ton on gas.

Try shooting Exfactor a PM.
    He's in with a lot of anglers up there.
    In fact, it wouldn't hurt to offer him a spot on your boat...SUPER KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON.
    If his boat wasn't down, he would be out there right now..
    Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Try shooting Exfactor a PM.
    He's in with a lot of anglers up there.
    In fact, it wouldn't hurt to offer him a spot on your boat...SUPER KNOWLEDGABLE PERSON.
    If his boat wasn't down, he would be out there right now..
    Good Luck,
    Robert
    <><
    Double down on that.
    Mike has the best skills money can't buy. That is if you have your own boat.

My latest report from someone that just got off a boat not more that an hour ago. I won't say which boat or landing. Those guys are doing there best to make a living like anyone else. But with a ton of trolling and paddy hopping the count wasn't what they were looking for.
    Fish swim and move all the time. So that's the way it is. Good days and bad days.

Good luck and I hope you have one of the good days wherever you fish.

WWO

Ooops I just messed up my posting numbers
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 09-10-2014 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by camperjay View Post
    I saw that the boats out of oxnard 1.5 day day trips are landing yellowfin, anyone know the general area?

I was planning on going south but if they are this far north then I could save a ton on gas.
    Personally I wouldn't waste the money on a 1.5 day out of Oxnard for that kind of money!! I live in Ventura, and I fish out of Ventura SportFishing regularly (once every other month or so) with Captain Greg on the island spirit. He is not running overnights on his boat but he is doing limited load 5am runs targeting yellow fins and tail for a whole hell of a lot cheaper than Ciscos or pt hueneme. I believe his is 85 compared to 210. Plus the crew is great, and cpt always finds the fish. If neither of those work, I heard landings in Redondo are getting limits of them on 3/4 trips for only 55 bucks. Hope this helps you out

some friends out today checking behind Rosa. Most of the counts from Ciscos has been down by Catalina.

Thank you all for the information.

This will be the first time I take the boat out on my own with full control of the helm so the pressure is on to bag some fish, haha. I feel more comfortable trailering the boat close and motoring a little further so the launch will be out of channel islands harbor at the new launch ramp and heading south of anacapa along the temp break and along the catalina ridge. If I could I would bring along some more experienced fnn members but I already have a full crew of four others. Good or bad ill post some results after the saturday trip.

Thanks again for the help.

a buddy put the trollers in yesterday behind Anacapa, and went as far as 15 miles before SBI, for 1 15# yellowfin, and a skippie. Hope this helps

So we stuck to our plan.
    We got to the south side of anacapa island and everyone was excited to get their lines wet so I let them drop down while i set up all the trolling rods and live bait gear.

Around 8 we head south and stop of at our first paddy, so much bait and so many dolphins. we loaded up on mackerel since we knew the chovies were a bit small.

we got back on the gas and continued to where we wanted to be and stoped at another paddy, same situation. Green back mackerel at this one and again dolphing going crazy. It was a sight to see
    and it was a first time in the ocean for one of the crew memebers.

Off to another paddy and this one seemed to be holding the fish as my buddy hooks up on a yellowtail and some dorados come out for some action. I toss some surface iron for some strikes and realize not everyone on boat
    can throw surface iron. I repostion the boat and start chumming with the anchovies. I toss on a large mackerel huck it out and as soon as it hits the water I'm hit and its game on. the fish made some rice runs with some
    great acrobatics.

As im hooked the dude who has never been in the ocean let alone catch a fish over five pounds hooks into one and is absolutely stoked.

After a about 45 min of good action a sea lion come out to investigate, eats our chum, and the fish stop.

We get back on the throttle to make it to our trolling grounds and the weather got a little to nasty for this novice boater.

It was a slow ride back and we had planned on spending the rest of the day at the islands for some kelp fishing but Poseidon had other plans.
    we make the slow trip back to oxnard with everyone pleased with the short day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15050562087_0b07b054f7_m.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	45029

Name:	15236749112_a5e446a20d_m.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	45030

Name:	15237121395_4ce71ddc66_m.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	45031
    Last edited by camperjay; 09-14-2014 at 09:35 AM. Reason: trouble with uploading photos

Quote Originally Posted by camperjay View Post
    So we stuck to our plan.
    We got to the south side of anacapa island and everyone was excited to get their lines wet so I let them drop down while i set up all the trolling rods and live bait gear.

Around 8 we head south and stop of at our first paddy, so much bait and so many dolphins. we loaded up on mackerel since we knew the chovies were a bit small.

we got back on the gas and continued to where we wanted to be and stoped at another paddy, same situation. Green back mackerel at this one and again dolphing going crazy. It was a sight to see
    and it was a first time in the ocean for one of the crew memebers.

Off to another paddy and this one seemed to be holding the fish as my buddy hooks up on a yellowtail and some dorados come out for some action. I toss some surface iron for some strikes and realize not everyone on boat
    can throw surface iron. I repostion the boat and start chumming with the anchovies. I toss on a large mackerel huck it out and as soon as it hits the water I'm hit and its game on. the fish made some rice runs with some
    great acrobatics.

As im hooked the dude who has never been in the ocean let alone catch a fish over five pounds hooks into one and is absolutely stoked.

After a about 45 min of good action a sea lion come out to investigate, eats our chum, and the fish stop.

We get back on the throttle to make it to our trolling grounds and the weather got a little to nasty for this novice boater.

It was a slow ride back and we had planned on spending the rest of the day at the islands for some kelp fishing but Poseidon had other plans.
    we make the slow trip back to oxnard with everyone pleased with the short day.

Name:	15050562087_0b07b054f7_m.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	45029

Name:	15236749112_a5e446a20d_m.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	18.8 KB 
ID:	45030

Name:	15237121395_4ce71ddc66_m.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	45031
    I'm so happy for you guy's and gals. The ocean can be a bit scary on a rough day, so playing it safe after you scored was the smart thing to do!!!!!

Thanks!!!! In the back of my mind the entire time was the safety of my gf and friends.

Next time I'll proof read my post first, must have been a little tired Sunday morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast