Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Help a brother out with a tip or two?

Default Help a brother out with a tip or two?

I can remember fishing as some of my first memories. It is what I love. However, I am new to California and all of my experience is in freshwater. I will be heading out on my first trip this weekend on a friends fishing boat. I think the plan is to head to Catalina and then on to San Clemente. Is there anyone who has been out lately with tips on how to catch YT or Tuna? For example, what I need as far as gear and what techniques have been working the best? Live Bait vs. Cranks? What kind of structure or areas to look for? Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks

I just got back from out there... 30lb set up with an absolute necessity 30lb fluoro leader (6-8 ft) .. our bait size was huge so using 3/0 hooks. Guys using mega baits as you slide/drift into the schools were doing well too! good luck out there, looks like its heating up again!

Just make sure everybody is looking for kelp paddies. Hook size depends on bait size. 3/0 to #2
    Chumming helps a lot. Chunk up the dead bait.