Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neat old vinyl records

Default Neat old vinyl records

We have not had a turntable in the house for probably over thirty years. My wife decided that she wanted one for her birthday, so she could listen to some of her old favorites. I already have it, but her birthday is not for another week. Just to get ready for it, I took some time to go through all the old vinyls and organize them a little. She knows about it already, so she helped. Most of our collection dates back to the 60's and 70's with a few earlier and some later. It is all just personal use stuff with no thought toward any kind of collector's value. A couple of them did catch my eye and there are probably others. We have a pristine vinyl of the Beatles very first album dating back to January 1964, which was just a few months after we were married. "Meet the Beatles" was released shortly before the Beatles came to the states to appear on the Ed Sullivan show. Some have sold for as much as $1400, but those were probably unsealed. Another one that caught my eye was a first run Michael Jackson "Thriller" album from 1982. I've no idea how we wound up with that other than our daughter was 13 in 1982, and it was probably bought for her. Some of those are selling for over $300, but since it was the all-time best selling album, there are a ton of them still out there. There were some sentimental favorites such a couple of Waylon Jennings. We had the pleasure of getting to know Waylon and Jesse. Jesse (real name Miriam) was the sister of my wife's best friend, and we wound up spending quite a bit of time with them, including some all-access passes to concerts, a pre-show visit with them on their tour bus, and one memorable evening that we spent just the six of us sitting at the kitchen table. Then there are the three Neil Sedaka albums. You would think a person would learn his lesson after the first one. Overall, there are over 300 albums, most in very good condition. It's going to be fun listening.
    Last edited by Fishbreath; 09-15-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Thriller! I have that album, and a smattering of Lionel Richie, and a ton of old soul records.

I own more turntables than I do CD players. Go figure. I've gotten some gems for 25 cents at local garage sales.

So many have no clue that if you have a vinyl collection still, you're sitting on a gold mine. Sounds like you have some real gems. I too have many of my albums from the early 70's up. Around the same amount as you which is less than half of my original collection that were stolen in the mid 80's. I always wondered why they didn't take the all of them. Perhaps they were scared off before they finished the job...

I have a couple pairs of vinyl pants... is that worth anything?

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    So many have no clue that if you have a vinyl collection still, you're sitting on a gold mine. Sounds like you have some real gems. I too have many of my albums from the early 70's up. Around the same amount as you which is less than half of my original collection that were stolen in the mid 80's. I always wondered why they didn't take the all of them. Perhaps they were scared off before they finished the job...
    A lot of the collections that get good money, are much like baseball cards. The record needs to be in pristine conditions, and need to be first releases. Re-releases are worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    I'll trade you those vinyl pants (only if they're Dodger blue, BTW) for a copy of this:

Quote Originally Posted by City Dad View Post
    Lol yup, just put them on and walk out into public and you'll find out real quick...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    A lot of the collections that get good money, are much like baseball cards. The record needs to be in pristine conditions, and need to be first releases. Re-releases are worthless.

I'll trade you those vinyl pants (only if they're Dodger blue, BTW) for a copy of this:

Exactly the reason why when I bought each album, most when they were first released, I also bought a plastic cover to go with it. They're stored in boxes in my studio...

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Exactly the reason why when I bought each album, most when they were first released, I also bought a plastic cover to go with it. They're stored in boxes in my studio...
    Did you play them or just collect them?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Did you play them or just collect them?
    The one off limited edition collectables aren't played, the others are but are in excellent condition...

I have a vinyl collection too and am not old.

To the recording professional or board tech: why are vinyl records the broadest, fullest and highest quality recordings in sound media?
    It is a fact just don't know why.
    Last edited by Stinkbait; 09-15-2014 at 08:39 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast