Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LA River Bass

Default LA River Bass

I felt like fishing today but didn't feel like standing next to a bunch of other folks trying to catch fish that've been caught ten times before. Haven't hit up the concrete river in a while so off I went. Usually I catch a bunch of tilapia, and I rarely see other people there save for the odd hobo or dead body.

First spot I bring in two tilapia. Next spot I hook into something that feels different. Still small but lo and behold it's a damn green sunfish. Now at this point I see a small school of what I assume are mosquito fish. Only they are too big and don't look quite right. So I sneak up on em and see that they have black stripes.

Hmmm. Bass in the LA river? Nah. Maybe they're some mutated minnow or something.

Next spot is nice and deep. I can see some tilapia, couple sunfish, carp. As I walked the bank I spooked some bigger fish. I caught some sunfish and another tilapia, when I saw the school of bigger fish again. I cast right past it and saw them rush to inspect my lure.

Wham. Fish started running with my lure. Reeled it in and here's what I caught-

I was stunned. Kept targeting that group of fish caught 4 more.

So there are largemouth bass in the LA river. I got a closer look at the massive school of fry back at the first spot. Yup, baby bass. I had always hoped to someday pull a bass out that glorified ditch, now I can die happy.

lol. I was on a bass quest a little while back. I could not find them. I'm glad you did. Protect this invasive species! lol

That's great news! Nice job out there. Your post coincides with an article in today's LA Times about a fishing tournament that was recently held there. Hope you get a steelhead next. BTW, human corpses make great catfish chum.

Quote Originally Posted by GhettoBasster View Post
    BTW, human corpses make great catfish chum.
    Lol the LA river is cleaner than the SA river dude! Are you sure you aren't mixing the two up? Haha

Just read the LA times article this morning. That's pretty cool that they had a fishing derby at the river. I figure if there are micro bass in it, somewhere there has to be a decent sized largie. If I catch anything bigger I'll post it.

6. Default

Awesome, awesome, awesome. I need to hit up that spot and make a new urban fishing video, it's been a long time since my last urban concrete jungle fishing trip!

I can go with you if you need a second camera or decent audio. Next time I'm gonna fish more in the main channel or deeper pools to try and catch something worthy.

That's pretty cool,I knew about all the other species in there,never knew about the bass,very nice,can't wait to see some larger models.

Cya Tuna Vic

9. Default

yep theres bass in there

Now if only there were peacock bass in there.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast