Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LA River Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Yeah I know the original poster didn't believe me so here is the proof. Its a paved dirt trail and there is concrete. It is good fishing if you guys ever get bored of your favorite holes. Go in the morning they bite between 8-1030am.
    I may have to give it a shot...are the mosquitoes thick down there?

Nope there was none at all you might need a sweater if you go early and obviously water when it gets warmer later on the day. The only problem I had fishing was the fact it gets busy which makes it difficult to keep up with the pace. Make sure you bring a can of corn at the minimum and some lures for bass. If you are going for catfish shrimp or cutbait. If you use corn as bait youll be able to catch carp and tilapia and can use the latter as bait for catfish and bass. Remember when you are tilapia fishing wait for them to strike your bait a few times and then set the hook. If you dont they will jack your bait and that includes the big ones. I would recommend using number 8-12 baitholder, hooks. I prefer octopus hooks though it makes it easier to release them and it also makes setting the hook easier compared to circle hooks. I used the standard ganglion rig with a 3/8 bass sinker, there is no need to get fancy the fish are dumb here lol.There are bass dumb enough to eat cut bait don't know why they do it but they do. They still prefer lures though.

Bigger carp and tilapia are towards the deeper or middle parts of the river and catfish 10-15ft from shore. Bass hit or miss. If you are fishing for catfish just let your line sink to the bottom regardless of the rig they will bite. They are sneaky and to get around that either open the spool or just let them work their way to the hook.

One thing about carp and tilapia is that either one or the other will dominate a section of the river. Some parts I would be catching mostly carp and others tilapia so keep that in mind. I would like to recommend using 8lb line at the minimum 4lb line mainly for the snags and you might need a landing net in some parts of the river because certain sections of the shoreline is steep. Good luck and post some pics when you catch some for us.

PS Pre tie your hooks because it will get busy and you might not have time to keep up that's one of the reasons why I use the ganglion rig
    Last edited by Vinh; 09-21-2014 at 10:03 PM.

Vinh, it's great seeing the variety of fish you catch from the river. If you catch a 15" bass I'd be very impressed. I found some bigger fish this weekend... They actually pulled some drag. Biggest was around 12".

Last edited by Tomfish; 09-21-2014 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Duplicate img

Quote Originally Posted by Tomfish View Post
    Vinh, it's great seeing the variety of fish you catch from the river. If you catch a 15" bass I'd be very impressed. I found some bigger fish this weekend... They actually pulled some drag. Biggest was around 12".

I will eventually I did last year. River fish usually don't get big unless its a big river , but there are big ones in there I have seen them jump out of the water

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Nope there was none at all you might need a sweater if you go early and obviously water when it gets warmer later on the day. The only problem I had fishing was the fact it gets busy which makes it difficult to keep up with the pace. Make sure you bring a can of corn at the minimum and some lures for bass. If you are going for catfish shrimp or cutbait. If you use corn as bait youll be able to catch carp and tilapia and can use the latter as bait for catfish and bass. Remember when you are tilapia fishing wait for them to strike your bait a few times and then set the hook. If you dont they will jack your bait and that includes the big ones. I would recommend using number 8-12 baitholder, hooks. I prefer octopus hooks though it makes it easier to release them and it also makes setting the hook easier compared to circle hooks. I used the standard ganglion rig with a 3/8 bass sinker, there is no need to get fancy the fish are dumb here lol.There are bass dumb enough to eat cut bait don't know why they do it but they do. They still prefer lures though.

Bigger carp and tilapia are towards the deeper or middle parts of the river and catfish 10-15ft from shore. Bass hit or miss. If you are fishing for catfish just let your line sink to the bottom regardless of the rig they will bite. They are sneaky and to get around that either open the spool or just let them work their way to the hook.

One thing about carp and tilapia is that either one or the other will dominate a section of the river. Some parts I would be catching mostly carp and others tilapia so keep that in mind. I would like to recommend using 8lb line at the minimum 4lb line mainly for the snags and you might need a landing net in some parts of the river because certain sections of the shoreline is steep. Good luck and post some pics when you catch some for us.

PS Pre tie your hooks because it will get busy and you might not have time to keep up that's one of the reasons why I use the ganglion rig
    Thanks for the info!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234