Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Freelance Tuna Trip 09/04/14

Default Freelance Tuna Trip 09/04/14

My wife and I had an excellent trip out of Davey's Locker. Unfortunately I was expecting Calicos and Bonita more than Yellowfin tuna on this 3/4 day boat and therefore I brought mainly 12-15# class rods. After loading up with quality bait we headed SW of the East end of Catalina. Looking for Paddys or birds we eventually found a school of porpoise. Baits hit the water and it was on. My wife was one of the 1st to hookup and it was a toad! After a 45 min battle she put a 30+ on the deck while after an equally lengthy fight, I broke off a similar fish at color. The day went on like this with constant action as we followed the schools of porpoise. The crew was awesome scrambling to untangle lines gaff fish and handle the general mayhem. I ended up landing 3 0f 8 and the wifey 2 of 5 all 20-30#.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lisa.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	44986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boat.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	44987Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mike.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	44988

That's awesome for a 3/4. Doesn't get any better than that. Congrats to you and the wifee on the toads!

Those are some nice kills on the 3/4 day!! Way to go Lightning!!

Thanks!! It was definitely a good time

Sweet!!
    Nice job to the both of you.
    Robert
    <><