Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanna be basspro guys and environmentalist

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Once again I will say for a fish that swims in just about every puddle to have so much concern for a few being taken I think is simply ridiculous. Largemouth are not a toy they are a sport fish like any other. Some lakes should have more stringent take laws which might even include C&R only (example inner city ponds) but to think that a no take law for all bass would be good in all cases is just wrong.

They do taste like total crap though but hey some people actually eat carp so whatever turns your crank.
    Seal,

Although, if everyone decided to abide by the arbitrary laws set up by DFG, and kept every fish that the law says they can, can you say that in a populated state like California, it won't affect the fishery as a whole?

Respectfully yours,

DS

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Seal,

Although, if everyone decided to abide by the arbitrary laws set up by DFG, and kept every fish that the law says they can, can you say that in a populated state like California, it won't affect the fishery as a whole?

Respectfully yours,

DS
    I'd like to see more seasonal limits and lower limits in place. The take of breeding fish off beds (largemouth are way too vulnerable at those times) is a big concern. More slot limits with 2 fish limits where needed would seem to be a good place to start. I totally understand the concern in many waters but there are many others that a take would possible improve the fishery. Most I think are coming from a So Cal state of mind where pressure is great and where there are way too many poachers.

I do think some go way over the deep end when trying to protect the largemouth. Although the ones I was catching last night on topwater were just too damn pretty to kill!

Dark Shadow,
    Bass are stocked in almost every pond/lake/river in this state or they are well managed. Not everyone is C&R and I have been told they are not self reproducing by bass pro guys yet I see baby bass and continually catch the bigger ones. These people are saying that about lakes or even city ponds that have been around for decades. Funny thing is usually the C&R people who complain are the ones poaching. I see them fishing in the red zone which is the no fishing zone.They are usually the ones with no respect and would fish right next to you even though 99.9% of the lake is open. I have taken pictures of them illegally fishing even though they C&R, just in case. Another thing about C&R is not all fish survive after being released , most do, but if you are the C&R person who gets in the case of legal bag limits your argument is invalid because you could be potentially killing the fish. What you do with your fish is your business but that is my two cents. Honestly I would release more bass but its those who piss me off so I keep them just to piss them off.

Let's clarify "stocked". Yes, since nearly every SoCal lake is man made it is obvious that someone put the fish in there to begin with - all species. The point I was trying to make was that, unlike trout, LMB aren't routinely/artificially replenished on a seasonal basis so, to say they are "stocked" is silly. They are "planted" like others species when an ecosystem is created, but stocked they are not.

For me, every LMB I toss back is another potential catch for me down the road. Again, just my philosophy. To each his own.

https://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FishPlants/
    Last edited by Baja1ab; 09-05-2014 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
    Honestly I would release more bass but its those who piss me off so I keep them just to piss them off.
    Ok, you totally lost me there. I'll bow out now...

Like you said to each his own. What I meant by that is if a basspro c&r guy personally tells me to throw a bass back just because I decided to keep it I am more likely to keep the bass than toss it back because its rude and they need to show some respect. Lets say a person doesnt agree with C&R and I tried to make them feel like an idiot or jerk for releasing the bass how would they feel. It works both ways right. if a person is C&R and is respectful and minded his own business I am more likely to release the bass. I usually don't keep bass or fish and most of the time if I do I give them away but like I said if some douchebag is acting like a jerk I am not going to be nice. It looks to me most people who are C&R in this forum and you included are the respectful type that I wouldn't mind fishing with. All I am saying is being respectful and nice goes a long way especially in my book.

Well I think that's is f@@@n stupid to keep a bass just to piss someone off if ur going to release doit if your gonna keep keep but don't kill the fish cus of what some dumb a@@ says.. In that case have the Balls to step up to the guy and hurt them not the fish. Just my opinion. Keep and release what u feel like as long as it's legal..

Rather then suggest that the OP either C&R or deal with it if he keeps any how about the C&R nazis either shut the hell up and deal with it or TRY TO CHANGE THE LAW. If its legal, leave the guy alone. If its not legal then I'm all for going after the guy any way necessary. You may not like the taste of bass but some people might. I'm not a big fan of beer, just don't like it, but, apparently many people do like it (ya think?). For the record I don't think I've kept a bass in the last 10 years but if I decide to tomorrow, within the law, I expect you and your's to respect that decision and leave me alone.

I get the point you're trying to make, but I don't get killing the fish.
    If it's legal to keep, it's up to you. Period!!!

BTW.....I don't like all the crazy laws we have in this state, but they give us the tools to use, so....

Fish and Game Code Section 2009. (a) A person shall not willfully interfere with the participation of any individual in the lawful activity of shooting, hunting, fishing, falconry, or trapping at the location where that activity is taking place.

(b) A violation of this section is an infraction punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than five hundred dollars ($500).

(c) If any person is convicted of a violation of this section and the offense occurred within two years of another separate violation of this section which resulted in a conviction, the violation is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than one hundred dollars ($100) nor more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), by imprisonment in the county jail for not more than one year, or by both that fine and imprisonment.

(d) This section does not apply to the actions of any peace officer or personnel of the department in the performance of their official duties. This section does not obstruct the rights and normal activities of landowners or tenants, including, but not limited to, farming, ranching, and limiting unlawful trespass.

(e) In order to be liable for a violation of this section, the person is required to have had the specific intent to interfere with the participation of an individual who was engaged in shooting, hunting, fishing, falconry, or trapping.

(f) For purposes of this section, “interfere with” means any action which physically impedes, hinders, or obstructs the lawful pursuit of any of the above-mentioned activities, including, but not limited to, actions taken for the purpose of frightening away animals from the location where the lawful activity is taking place.

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    Catfish - I dislike cleaning them so I toss 'em. Just what I do.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast