Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody getting trout at DVL ... or is it all stripered out?

Default Anybody getting trout at DVL ... or is it all stripered out?

What happened to the brownies?

GOOD FISHIN y'all

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    What happened to the brownies?

GOOD FISHIN y'all
    Mr Stripy says.....Nom,Nom,Nom,Nom,Nom........Ummmmmmmmm tasty!

Brent

Yeah, those things got eaten faster than real brownies at a stoner party.

Might as well have thrown them brown fingerlings into the frying pan.

It's all Stripered out but I did catch this on a spinner bait in early July;

It's no holdover or Brownie but it was fun catching it never the less. This pic doesn't do it justice but it was just under 7lbs on our scale...

And the water temps this summer any greatly decreasing the chances of any other holdovers surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by inthroughtheocean View Post
    And the water temps this summer any greatly decreasing the chances of any other holdovers surviving.
    WHAT!?? Maybe the surface temp. That lake is 180 feet deep. There is plenty of cooler water for them.

the lake right now and since early July has been essentially 30-35 feet deep. The lake has stratified at 10 m with total anoxia below that. the thermocline is 1-2 meters thick where the h20 temp goes from 78 to 68 degrees in that space and DO (dissolved oxygen) goes from 9 mg/l to 0 mg/l in the same thickness. the cooler water where trout (and stripers) can thrive is extremely narrow or has no oxygen below it. I believe this phenomenon has happened over the last 2-3 years which limited the carrying capacity for species that prefer cooler water (trout and stripers). This is a natural phenomenon that occurs throughout the US, primarily in the southern states. The effects here are made worse by the drought conditions we are going through further reducing the amount of water in the reservoir further confining these species. Nothing can be done about it now but sit back and wait for the lake to turnover and mix the water column to a ubiquitous temperature and DO level.

Hell that was very informative! But not very good news.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    the lake right now and since early July has been essentially 30-35 feet deep. The lake has stratified at 10 m with total anoxia below that. the thermocline is 1-2 meters thick where the h20 temp goes from 78 to 68 degrees in that space and DO (dissolved oxygen) goes from 9 mg/l to 0 mg/l in the same thickness. the cooler water where trout (and stripers) can thrive is extremely narrow or has no oxygen below it. I believe this phenomenon has happened over the last 2-3 years which limited the carrying capacity for species that prefer cooler water (trout and stripers). This is a natural phenomenon that occurs throughout the US, primarily in the southern states. The effects here are made worse by the drought conditions we are going through further reducing the amount of water in the reservoir further confining these species. Nothing can be done about it now but sit back and wait for the lake to turnover and mix the water column to a ubiquitous temperature and DO level.
    Thanks for the info kwin.

Good to see you back on the board!

Great info Kwin. I could see the thermocline pretty good on my graph about a month ago and it was pretty thick at 30 ft or so from what I can remember. Or at least I thought I was looking at the thermocline. lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast