Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: 8/30 O'Neill Forebay - Striper Virgins Slay with DK!

Default 8/30 O'Neill Forebay - Striper Virgins Slay with DK!

So after 2 years... I finally took DK up on his offer to go out fishing on his home waters. Instead of jumping on his boat, I took my dad and brother out with me and DK took a buddy of his.

My dad and brother had never fished for Striper before... Trout and Green Carp only so I really wanted to get them on a good bite. DK pretty much guaranteed it... He came through!

We arrived at the lake 4th in line. Of course DK was 1st. Get through inspections and launch. Motored across the lake looking for boils in perfect top water conditions. No boils but there were fish popping the surface here and there so we pick a stretch of shore line and start throwing top water. On my first cast I hook up and land a 16 inch Striper..... YES!!!!

Over the next hour I only landed 1 more but I didn't care... My brother was on fire... The first 5 Striper he ever caught were also his first 5 top water fish. Dad land 2 or 3 also. Not his first top water fish ever but his first stripers.

At one point we all happened to be watching when my brothers lure get blasted out of the water... HUGE SPLASH! He battles this monster for about 5 minutes before he gets it in the boat. We celebrate and snap pics of the monster!

What can I say? Typical Dodger fan... All wore out by a GIANT!

Dad's 1st Striper.

The bite died so we moved on... Found some more popping fish but couldn't get to them due to too much salad on that shoreline.

Then I get a call from DK... Killing them on the troll already! So we head on over and start to pound the lanes that DK maps out for us. We hook up and land one right away... Then a bunch of short strikes. All the while DK is putting fish after fish on board.

DK calls again to see how we are doing... We've got about 10 troll fish and he's at about thirty. My dad and brother are like

We were using the right colors but not at the right depth and we were trolling a little slow. DK suggests the right adjustments and things went wide open from there! My brother got back to back doubles. Dad hit a couple doubles and we had many double hook ups!

We trolled 2 rigs all day and boated 45 to 50 fish on the day. Off the water before 1pm. DK doubled our total. Only bummer was that we did not land one keeper. All 16s and 17s when we needed 18s. DK kept 3 keepers and gave them to us so Dad and Bro could get their first taste of Striper.

Conversation from the new Striper guys went like this on the way home... "We are getting some of those rigs and fishing for stripers from now on!" and. "That Donald Kellogg is one hell of a fisherman and an even better person!" All I did was smile and agree with them.

Donald... It was great seeing you and hanging out a little. Thanks for all the help in making a memorable first Striper outing for a couple newbies!

We got home and fried some Striper!

A few more pics...

NICEEEEEEE,,

WTG to my good friends for getting everybody on feesh,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guys ALL killd it,,,,,,,,

o by the way genaro,,,,Got that Carolina reaper ready for the JR STRIPERSLAM,,,,,,,,So quit bothering me abought it IL BRING it for you Promise ,,,,,

Congrats my brothers!

TRAIL BLAZER

nice report Genaro, that looks like a good time!.....................................Dave

Genaro it was nice to see you up at oneil finally. It was nice meeting you Dad & Bro. Let them know I'll go out with them any time they are ready. I went out today again I'll b putting a post up soon

Cool trip! Yeah Donald is the oniel San Luis expert for sure

BTW I noticed the BS SF attire

very nice hooking up youre dad and brother ,at least youre dad was wearing a cool hat................

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    NICEEEEEEE,,

WTG to my good friends for getting everybody on feesh,,,,,,,,,,,,,you guys ALL killd it,,,,,,,,

o by the way genaro,,,,Got that Carolina reaper ready for the JR STRIPERSLAM,,,,,,,,So quit bothering me abought it IL BRING it for you Promise ,,,,,

Congrats my brothers!

TRAIL BLAZER
    Don't worry bout it TB... If you forget or dont want to bring that Reaper... I won't be mad. No harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by catchingsomefish View Post
    nice report Genaro, that looks like a good time!.....................................Dave
    It was a good time Dave... It's nice to have things work out when you bring newbies along.

Quote Originally Posted by dk4885 View Post
    Genaro it was nice to see you up at oneil finally. It was nice meeting you Dad & Bro. Let them know I'll go out with them any time they are ready. I went out today again I'll b putting a post up soon
    Thanks again Donald... I'm waiting for that report.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Cool trip! Yeah Donald is the oniel San Luis expert for sure

BTW I noticed the BS SF attire

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    very nice hooking up youre dad and brother ,at least youre dad was wearing a cool hat................
    I tried to lose my brother's jacket overboard...

Hey... at least the Giants didn't just roll over like these Dodger fans thought they would. They're gonna make it interesting till the end... You never know!

Nice trip guys! TW action, trolling action and guys popping thier Striper cherry - good times for sure! That lake rocks and nobody slays there like DK. Sure, you catch a lot sub-legals, but they fight like way bigger fish which makes it fun. Can't wait to get back up there myself.

FWD

Way to go Genaro.
    Tons 'O family fun.
    You guys did reel well. Don't try to compare with Donald,
    Man, he's got that lake dialed.
    Nice trip guys!!!