Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8-30 Finally made the trip

Default 8-30 Finally made the trip

I decided to get away from this crazy heat and make my first trip up to Big Bear.

We arrived around 6:45 or so. Inspection was just like any other except for the part when the guy was shaking my outboard back and fourth trying to force
    a drop out, smh!

Once we launched, just going out to our first stop we must have seen over 15 boats already within eye sight and most of them trolling for trout.
    As we got to our first spot we saw a bunch of trout jumping and marked a bunch, but we were there for lmb/smb. I started off by trowing spooks and frogs
    for the first hr and no takers. Then I switched over to arigs and cranks and got a few to go in 12-15 ft. Nothing big, just a few fun fish.
    Around 10 we made the switch to plastics and fished like that the rest of the day. We mainly stayed in 15-25ft of water.

The Game plan was to catch 20 cpr and go. Fish #20 took over an hr after fish 19 was landed and that last small 13" bass made my day which was the hardest
    catch of the day! My real game plan was to not let all the boat traffic mess with my head (which it did not). I knew it would be crowded just didn't expect it to
    be too crowded We were dodging boats all day zigzagging around, but we were focused to catching and having a good time which we did. A few times
    people cheered and clapped when we landed fish in to the boat so that was actually cool and a first.

Beautiful lake and nice weather, won't be my last trip there...

We ended the day with 2 double hook ups and 1 back to back catch.
    Total fish count: 17 LMB, 3 Small mouth, 1 Trout. Our 5 fish sack went 17lbs with change.

Conditions: Sunny, 82-85 air temp, low winds, traffic jam of boats
    Water temp: 65-67
    Water clarity: Stained 1ft, Shore line to 10-15 ft out completely covered in grass, moss and all kinds of slim. Made it tough to fish docks!

This smallie had a weird zigzag body shape

Working the 1st double hook up

My biggest smallie out of 3

Pirates @ Big Bear

Perfect ending to this trip

Those are some pig lmb. Are they Northerns or Florida Strain? I remember reading that BBL has northerns.

Oh and BTW, which buff are you sporting?

Yeah they were all chunky healthy bass. Sorry bud I don't have the answer to your question about Northers or Florida strain. Maybe
    someone else in here will know.
    Your like the 10th guy to ask about the buff. Their great man, get yourself one. I highly recommend these =)
    Google: UVX Mask Buff

They are Northern strain.

Love BBL. Nice job on the bass!

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    Yeah they were all chunky healthy bass. Sorry bud I don't have the answer to your question about Northers or Florida strain. Maybe
    someone else in here will know.
    Your like the 10th guy to ask about the buff. Their great man, get yourself one. I highly recommend these =)
    Google: UVX Mask Buff
    lol I do own one. But, it's been retaining this heavy funky smell even with a proper cleaning. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    They are Northern strain.

Love BBL. Nice job on the bass!
    Great! They look so similar to a Florida strain though. I always thought the Northerns didn't have a distinct green lateral markings.

Very cool. I really haven't had BBL on my radar for bass but I do now. I'm in Yucaipa so I'm right at the bottom of the hill. I absolutely love it up there. I've wheeled every road and trail all over that mountain but sold my Jeep to buy my boat actually. Sounds like I can get my bass fix and still enjoy BB at the same time. Hmm, now you got me thinkin...
    Last edited by Baja1ab; 08-31-2014 at 11:34 PM.

New lake new fish nice job up at
    That lake.....

Cm

Quote Originally Posted by Baja1ab View Post
    Very cool. I really haven't had BBL on my radar for bass but I do now. I'm in Yucaipa so I'm right at the bottom of the hill. I absolutely love it up there. I've wheeled every road and trail all over that mountain but sold my Jeep to buy my boat actually. Sounds like I can get my bass fix and still enjoy BB at the same time. Hmm, now you got me thinkin...
    Def was worth checking out. I'm in Fontana, about an hr/15mins away which is not really that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Great! They look so similar to a Florida strain though. I always thought the Northerns didn't have a distinct green lateral markings.
    Wouldn't surprise me if they had a little cross of Florida in them. But I have not heard that for sure.

Wow! Great job guys! I've been thinking more and more about trying BBL. Maybe I'll try it in the yak this weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast