Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Annual Bako Boy/SWAT duct, dove cast and blast... w/ Mr. Elk and Mr. Boar

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Every year WWO comes up to Bakersfield and we have a nice little Dove hunt and Duct fishing trip. Every year he brings a different date along. This year its George aka Gmart...

I think they're crazy but hey? Dove opener is tomorrow and they came up yest and got a hotel in Buttonwillow (Don't ask don't tell)

Anyway we meet up at grey light and I give them the lowdown on the bite. Wasn't 3 seconds my bait was in the water and HOokUp!

We picked off 6 on the first stop. Proceeded to catch 15 and lost a handful. Gmart popped his duct cherry. Things went as planned. Carefully planning the c&R's so we could end up with exact limits by the time we were done. We dont like to miscount and keep over limits like some of the members on this site.

This is where the story gets good.... WWO brings his .300 blackout loaded with hot subsonic rounds. I suggest to him that we sneak over to crocker springs road and try and catch a pig off guard.. sure enough were clipping along and spot a small group of famished pigs and WWO gets a shot off....

Clean miss. After that the pigs split and are nowhere to be seen.

We walk back to the trucks and bust out the HMR.17 and plink a bit... To our surprise a couple Elk were hanging at the truck.. wish we had a tag and in season

I had a blast WWo and Gmart!

Thanks for lunch and can't wait for the Dove report
    Tagging on to yours .

Well well well so that's how ONE side of the story is written.

Here's another side of the story.

G-Mart and I would of paid Thousands of $$$$$$ to go fish and hunt with one of the so called famous BAKO guides. But we had a Coupon, so we got the trip for only .99 cents, with the one and only Mike (Rugburn) Luna.

Now we all know how infamous the Cutbait aka Rugburn is at killing stripers on any water that has em. And once we got to water he proved it right away. No embellishment at all about it only taking 3 seconds to catch his first fish. The crazy thing was he whispered in its ear. Mike doesn't know this but I recorded the entire conversation he had. Went something like this, " ok JB (jailbird) that was good. Just like we planned, but these guys are gonna get suspicious if I catch your buddies to quickly" Then he kissed the fish and tossed it back in the water.

Anyway Mike might of giving us some baits that he sat on in his truck. We caught fish but not quite like he did. We fished every hot spot on the Duct. Picking em off by the 2s and 3s at each stop.

Then the bite slowed down once the sun was high. That's when we decided to go look for some place to target shoot and sight in the Tack Driver 17 HMR.

In no time I was showing Mike how its done. Taking the 17 to record breaking accuracy. Yeah lets put some empty 12 gauge shells on the brush limps and see who does the best. Its so much fun taking a good clean shot and watching a shell go flying away from 250+ yards.

The pig miss was intentional of course. I didn't want some stinking pig all up in my Jeep. Besides the place already stank. I asked Mike, "What's that smell around here?" Of course he says, "what smell !"

Soon the Sun was baking us and off we went to have Lunch. NICE Place!!!!!! The gurrrrls were really friendly. Afterwards we split up. George and I were gonna just hang out by the pool and watch the whimmen swimming, but BaKO world is not quite Vegas if you know what I mean. So we drove up to Button Willow Raceway. Hopefully George can add a photo of the Race winning Trophy girl. We had a blast watching sportscars for a couple hours while we waited for the sun to drop down and catch the Sunday afternoon bite.

On Monday morning we told Mike we didn't go back out and fish. We didn't have the heart to tell him we caught the fish he was talking to and fed it to a hungry coyote.

So the opening day of Dove season rolls around on Monday. George and I are whacking the birds out of the sky. I look over and see that Mike was having trouble. We offered to give him some lessons. George was a natural with the shotgun. Me not really so much. And to tell you the truth Mikes kid is better than he is.

All kidding aside, Would I pick a 3 day trip to go fishing and hunting in the middle of no where again? You bet! Mike we had a blast. And if you can ever ween yourself off the Coors lite and come out to the coast, well guide you on some of the best tasting wine and food anywhere, not to mention I have a Halibut I talk to now and then.

WWO

Quote Originally Posted by exfactor View Post
    uncoachable is "clean miss" now lol. Bet there was some good bantering after that!
    You really believe I missed? Mikey Mikey Mikey. I didn't want to stand out in the hot sun watching Cutbait gut a stinking hog. When its cooler out the story will change.
    Last edited by Which Way Out; 09-02-2014 at 09:27 PM.

This thread is becoming a CLASSIC, Love it!

TRAIL BLAZER

Sweet , stripers and dove . Did you get the new 15 dove limit ? We all got early limits , they were thick but no collard dove . Went to the friant but only bluegill and small bass , no flow at all . Caught bass at Success for 4 days , fished Basic School on the way home but didn't stay long . It was 100 deg. and we were beat from 5 days of camping .

Very Cool Gentleman!!
    It's funny how things come to fruition when one's life is just dragging on, day by day.
    Thanks for sharing this Guys,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    This thread is becoming a CLASSIC, Love it!

TRAIL BLAZER

I have to agree with you TB. This post definitely brought a smile to my face and I'm sure that WWO may just ruffle a few of the wrong Cutbait feathers before this one is done!

Quote Originally Posted by PONTOON View Post

I have to agree with you TB. This post definitely brought a smile to my face and I'm sure that WWO may just ruffle a few of the wrong Cutbait feathers before this one is done!
    LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,PONTOON ,I Kinda believe that they both are GREAT sports and top notch shall we say SHEET TALKERS,,LOL.

Willing to give a little and get a little,,lolol

T/B

Sounds about right...Hey Bill...Those crosshairs on your glasses were striper scales

Now clue me in....What is the difference between a "clean" miss and a "dirty" miss?
    No...I'm not talking about women or your......DATE...LOL

Bet ya shoot dove with a "Wide open choke TOO"....LOL
    Actually better that way so you don't have to chew on a crapload of buckshot!

That being said....Good job with the cast N blast report guys......Cheers!

See Ya ...Mike
    Last edited by bones; 09-04-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Whatev's....

We had lunch on Sunday. Well I call it lunch. It was between 1130 am ad 12.... I ordered a pastrami sammich.
    "The boys" ordered breakfast.

I immediately questioned the hour they wake up on an everyday basis if breakfast is at 1130. Anyway...

I noticed they ordered eggs, bacon, hash browns, sausage. Etc....

Bill also mentioned the "stink".....

In his glorified coastal air of Santa Barbara I guess the potatoes for those hash browns and the meat for the bacon and sausage and the eggs from real chickens must come from the Farmland fantasy world where smells of animals are non existent.

Great times had by all! City folk and country folk alike

Lol,,,,,,,,,

Smile

Lol, you guys crack me up...
    Good times with the Fins & Feathers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast