Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How far off shore would you go?

DR those are pretty capable little boats. Now if its windy that's another story.

Besides how far do you need to go these days....

WWO

depends on the seaworthiness of the boat, fuel capacity, and more importantly your skill and confidence to handle navigation in any condition.

I have fished San Clemente and the Butterfly from Long beach in my buddies Parker 18, and have gone to Catalina on many occasions on an old 18' Glastron and several similar boats with only charts, radio, compass and RDF before plotters and GPS were common..
    The key was preparation and experience.
    Start small and work your way up as you see what you and the boat can handle. If you feel comfortable at 10, Catalina (from long beach) should not be a problem.
    Catalina is also good to start on the longer hauls because there are services on the island if you find yourself in need of anything before the trip back across the channel.
    Last edited by rightsideup; 08-30-2014 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Besides how far do you need to go these days....

WWO
    1st time test run forget about Catalina and offshore very far, there is Tuna/Dodos, YT closer. If you can clear the breakwall with bait at grey light get out 3 - 5 miles then start trolling. Find that magic paddy and it could be game on.

I used to have a 19 foot Bayrunner center console and ran it to Catalina several times and out to the 14 mile bank and the 267 a couple times too. If its a nice day, no problem. If things turned snotty then it was a very uncomfortable (and wet) ride. The last time I took it to Catalina we went early and the plan, to try and keep from getting beat up coming home, was to leave before noon and run home before the wind came up. Well, as Murphy's Law dictated, that day the wind came up big about 11:30 so we still got our butts beat coming in. I finally sold it when, due to work and family situation at the time, coupled with the fact it was a lot of work, since it was a completely opened boat, to load everything in the morning and then unload and clean it up in the afternoon / evening after you got home, it sat in the driveway for over a year. Kind of wish i had it this year though.

I have a 16 1/2 foot Larson tri hull that I have taken to Catalina once, and the 209 three times this year with no problems. This has been a new experience for me and I will just echo what others have already said. Check the weather and be prepared. My biggest problem was fuel. My boat only has a 19 gallon tank, so I carry 20 extra gallons in 5 gallon jugs. So far have not used more than 10 gallons of the reserve fuel, when I went to Catalina launching out of Dana Point. Good luck out there.

Corey in his Jon boat.
    Hardcore doing it in a duck boat.

We have a 22 foot center console triumph. Last week just before the high swell from the hurricane we went out with a forecast of 2-3 swells and 2 ft waves. The wind came up out of the south to about 15 knots or better when we were heading out and push the waves to 2 foot plus and the time between the swells reduced to 8 seconds. The time between the swells if Very important. We check 4 or 5 sources of info the night before and the morning of the day we go. We fought the push on the boat all day and could not get our speed up to our normal 24 knots and had to travel at 17knots and below. Going south we all got wet and it just got worse as the day went on
    Here is the reason I am posting: About 18 miles out from Dana Point straight south we joined a group of boats 15. In that 15 boats were 2 wave runners decked out to fish, 1 rubber dingy about 15 or less feet with 2 big guys. Several boats under 20 feet and a small 14 foot aluminum lake fishing boat with a 25 horse motor on the back.
    My point is that all of these fisherman seemed to know what they were doing, had safety gear, radios and were under control.
    You need to make the decision from your own GUT and your preparation.
    We have flares, flare guns, extra life jackets, additional portable GPs and
    practice safety drills before we leave the harbor to make sure we all know what to do in case of a problem

Also we believe we are in God's care and make sure He approves of our going out and that he will be with us while we are out.
    I can think of at least 3 times when we felt the need to pray for a safe return.
    God Bless and Tight lines.

It could be great to buddy boat with a friend and his boat. Get a game plan and a radio channel then troll 1/4 mile apart. If one guy hooks up on troll or finds a paddy then cruise over. 100' tow rope if someone breaks down.
    DR

Although I have replied earlier I just remembered a incident to share. A friend of ours got a new boat 20 foot ski boat and took off one day to Catalina with his girlfriend. No radio, No tools. On the way back they got hit by a big wave and lost all electronics. They drifted for several hours before a freighter from some foreign country saw them and call the coast guard to rescue them.

So it all comes back to be over prepared for what the ocean may throw at you.

I have a 12' Zodiac inflatable boat. I have gone to Catalina from Long Beach 4 times by myself. IMO, an inflatable is the safest in any condition.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast