Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2nd TIme at Castaic NOT SMH anymore lol

Quote Originally Posted by Perris Bluegill Chaser View Post
    lol . I'm out of fish time to get back out there.
    If you ever want to fish the MID the BAKO BOYS have that place wired PBC,,,Let us know!

TRAIL BLAZER

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid1 View Post
    By the way, what hp outboard do I need for my 17' bayliner for trolling?
    You don't need much. I thought that I would put a kicker on my boat when I had a 150horse 2 stroke on it. The fuel consumption trolling was terrible. I replaced the motor with 115horse 4 stroke and now I'm sure that I don't need one.

I've trolled with small motors on friends boats. IMO The small propellers have less bite and that makes controlling the boat in wind more difficult. You have to throttle forward to overcome the wind and then the boat takes off. I like using the larger 4 stroke, the bigger propeller makes a big difference in control authority.

If you can't troll slow enough there are ways to slow it down. If it costs too much to troll, you might want to consider the kicker motors designed for pontoon boats the bigger propeller makes it more affective in the water.
    Last edited by fishinone; 08-26-2014 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    You don't need much. I thought that I would put a kicker on my boat when I had a 150horse 2 stroke on it. The fuel consumption trolling was terrible. I replaced the motor with 115horse 4 stroke and now I'm sure that I don't need one.

I've trolled with small motors on friends boats. IMO The small propellers have less bite and that makes controlling the boat in wind more difficult. You have to throttle forward to overcome the wind and then the boat takes off. I like using the larger 4 stroke, the bigger propeller makes a big difference in control authority.

If you can't troll slow enough there are ways to slow it down. If it costs too much to troll, you might want to consider the kicker motors designed for pontoon boats the bigger propeller makes it more affective in the water.
    Ok thanks, I can't remember what my trolling speed was like last time I was out, being I didn't know much about trolling until recently while watching you guys videos and getting a lot of pointers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140316_133341.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	44884  
    Last edited by catfishkid1; 08-26-2014 at 02:04 PM.

thanks we will take you up on that offer soon...
    Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    If you ever want to fish the MID the BAKO BOYS have that place wired PBC,,,Let us know!

TRAIL BLAZER

[QUOTE=Perris Bluegill Chaser;738302]thanks we will take you up on that offer soon...[/j

Jr striper slam will b a great day to meet up and pick the minds of all the striper guys.

i will say that TO is really worth the money.

To me, time is money, and if i never went on a guide trip, i wouldn't be here today.

I realized fishing is really all about knowledge, the more you know, the easier it is to get to the fish. To cuts the learning time in half. When i go to fish i want to catch as many fish as possible within that time period. I don't want to spend 20 trips learning how to catch stripers so i took a guide. I would love to slowly try to figure it out, but if i can get it done right the first time, i might as well.

I would still highly suggest you do a half day or full day with TO. I guarantee he will show you how to double your catch overnight. He's that effective. The castaic bite will change in the upcoming few months so it would be great timing. Heck you can even ask TO to take you on your boat.

Of course, the next steps is to practice, and soon you will be at limits. Keep it up!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345