Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some boat advise

Default Need some boat advise

Hey guys, although I love taking my kayak out, after meeting Big-Bob and seeing his beautiful nitro, I decided to resume a search for a boat. My budget is limited, the wife and kids drain most my cash, so I have been focusing on aluminums. Well I came across this add for a 1990 Fisher Boats Marsh Shark. They have it listed for almost 6 thousand but I blue booked it for about 2500. It seems like it is in good condition and Anglers Marine may have put some work into it. I.E the carpet.. I did some research and found out they no longer make Fisher Boats, and am concerned about leaks for such and old boat, but I have also heard old aluminum was better quality and lasted a lot longer. My budget is about 5 g's so I know im close with this boat and just want to make sure Im getting some good bang for my buck. If I can get any advice about what I should look out for, pricing points or better options I would appreciate it. Here is the Link

http://anglersmarineanaheim.24hoursh...boatID=4784227

I bought an older Lowe aluminium over a year ago, paid every 2,600 for it had a 40 horse power two stroke motor. Two strokes are no longer aloud in most Ca. waters so I had looked around for along time for a deal on n a 40 hp. four stroke found a 40 hp. Mercury and paid just under 3,000 for it. By the looks of that add for the Fisher the motor looks just like what I bought except it's a 60 horse, my guess would be that the cost is due to that motor.

The dealer knows exactly what it's worth. I agree the value is in the motor with an older boat. As a comparison I paid $5,500 for an '04 BassTracker PT175. Yes, it has a 25 horse but a fair comparison can be made. I think the price is a little high, but it is a decent boat for sure.
    Check this out for about the same money and 13 years newer. https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/boa/4615869894.html
    Last edited by P.A.W.; 08-20-2014 at 06:10 AM.

To get an overview of boat values check here: http://www.nadaguides.com/Boats

My advice is to get the newest boat you can afford.

just a clarification on the outboard's. for lakes like DVL and Skinner 2 strokes are allowed, they just have to be DFI's or 2 star carb rated or higher .

like others have stated get as newer a boat as you can afford, if it has a wood deck then make sure its not mushy, if it is the deck will need to be replaced. make sure you know the cost and schedule of maintaing the outboard engine because this will cut into your $$! check all switches/lights/pumps to make sure everything is in working order and do take the boat for a test ride in calm and choppy water, walk around the front and back decks on the water and not at the dock this will give you a sense of how stable the boat is. Good Luck and have fun!
    Last edited by DBass; 08-20-2014 at 08:07 AM.

It was nice meeting you on Monday Elbowlayer. You are welcome on my boat anytime during your boat search. I am heading out of town for the rest of the week but will be out multiple days next week. I was hoping to go out this morning but the weather decided otherwise (would have been an epic top water bite).

I think I would pass on the first boat and look for the newest boat you can find in your budget. Usually I avoid buying things from dealers because they typically are not willing to wheel and deal. As long as you do your research and know what to look for, I have had great success buying from private parties off of Craigslist. Like someone else mention always test the boat in the water before you buy. If the seller is not willing to do that it is an instant red flag. Do not fall for the "oh I will run the engine in the driveway" line.

Good luck in the search.

i bought an 89 used lowe with 70hp 2 stroke... paid a really good price and fish it almost every weekend. note that anything you buy thats old, expect to pay for repairs that may exceed the value of the boat unless you are really handy with a wrench. i do mostly everything myself, but did run into an engine issue that set me back.

good luck!

Wow, thanks for all the advice and tips everyone. Thanks for the offer Bob, I'm there pretty much every Friday, so if your going hit me up, ill take you up on it. I spoke to my daughter about our conversation, today is her second day at Palomar, so she was glad to hear it is possible although it seems so far away.
    Well back to the boat, thanks again for the tips, I don't want to end up with a cluncker for sure.

I recently bought my Bass Tracker PT185 from AM's used boat inventory and Mark was great to deal with! I made a cash offer $2k less than their asking price and they came back within $200 and threw a second fish finder on to seal the deal.

Anything you buy w a 4 stroke is going to pull a premium just because of the whole emissions thing. I was over anxious and nearly pulled the trigger on a older, smaller unit w less hp that ended up selling the night before I was to drive to look at it. I was super bummed but I'm glad it did now, lol. The asking price of the boat I bought was out of my price range but it ended up working out for the best. It's difficult because although you should always be patient when making a purchase like this sometimes you also have to jump on certain deals.

I hope it works out well for you. Best of luck!

Look for a older whaler with a four stroke. You can find something within your budget. Just have to be patient.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast