Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a novice fisher. Been skunked 7 out of 7 times at SARL

Default Tips for a novice fisher. Been skunked 7 out of 7 times at SARL

Hi everyone! I was just wondering what are some good tips for catching trout or catfish at SARL. I've always enjoyed fishing at the pier when invited by friends but I recently purchased my own equipment and have been frequenting SARL.

However, I've been skunked every single time. The most I've ever gotten was a single bite at the small lake next to the 91(but lost it) 2 trips ago and that was it. I've tried the green trout dough with the lip ripperz stuff, nightcrawlers, marshmellows, waxworms, red wigglers, the garlic scented "salmon egg" powerbaits, corn with slip sinker and drop shot rigs with sz 6, 8 and 10 "J" and treble hooks. Nothing seems to work for me. I've also tried nightcrawlers and mackerel on sz 1 Gamakatsu octopus circle hooks. I spend about 7-10 hours at the lake each time I'm there and I've fished mostly all the spots and have never had any luck. With the recent price increase, I'm about to give up on this place for good to try my luck elsewhere.

Am I using the wrong types of rigs? What are some good spots? Specific time of day that tends to produce more bites? What am I doing wrong? Any tips would be greatly appreciated Thank you!
    Last edited by Andyxp; 06-18-2014 at 05:25 PM.

http://gyazo.com/310cbfa65fe6c29b09079b72aa1a1bcd

La Palma corner
    size 2/0 Gamakatsu EWG (Extra Wide Gap) or size 3 Octopus Circle Hooks

Place the Mackeral on the hook and spray it with attractant.
    DO NOT PLACE ANY WEIGHT ON THE HOOK AT ALL, Toss it out NOT TOO FAR but about 75% of your maximum distance with a spinning combo.

I use 15lb Braided Pro line in Moss Green.

wait 10 minutes and you will have a fish on. I fish SARL and Corona all the time and will help you get on some fish if you buy lunch!

I need to give that a try. when fishing from shore I try to cast far as I can

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedOrder View Post

La Palma corner

DO NOT PLACE ANY WEIGHT ON THE HOOK AT ALL, Toss it out NOT TOO FAR but about 75% of your maximum distance with a spinning combo.

wait 10 minutes and you will have a fish on. I fish SARL and Corona all the time and will help you get on some fish if you buy lunch!

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedOrder View Post

La Palma corner

Hey thanks for the info! I might have to take you up on that offer sometime! Okay, go weightless next time, got it. Do you recommend using marshmellows to float the baits? Also what time of day is the best to fish for cats? I always show up at the lake at 6AM

I am mr. Skunkaroo also for catfish this season. I am going to check out sarl. Seems with the June boat discount I might have to try my luck. I wish I knew which place is better, corona or sarl?

are you fishing for trout right now? cause if so, there really arent much trout biting at this time of year and temp.

Catfish however should be easy. I haven't fished sarl for catfish, but i would guess a nice nightcrawler or cut mackeral tossed out, either early morn or at dusk will get you bites....ask for tips from the people working there where they see bites...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    I need to give that a try. when fishing from shore I try to cast far as I can
    More often than not the Catfish are just a few feet from shore, especially mid day where they are rubbing bellies on the grassy shorelines.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (2).jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	44410
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	44411
    Although I landed these from my float tube, I was casting JUST shy of 20ft out tword shore.

Thanks for all the info guys. I may give SARL one last shot. If nothing than I'll give Irvine lake a try.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    are you fishing for trout right now? cause if so, there really arent much trout biting at this time of year and temp.

Catfish however should be easy. I haven't fished sarl for catfish, but i would guess a nice nightcrawler or cut mackeral tossed out, either early morn or at dusk will get you bites....ask for tips from the people working there where they see bites...
    No, I'm targeting catfish at the moment, however, I did see a rather large trout jump yesterday so I switched up the rig to see if any would bite. Thanks for the tips! I always go early morning, arriving when they open but still no bites. I'll give the afternoon-night session a shot.

Catfish are stacked up and they aren't everywhere like trout. So its kind of a hit & miss for them but keep trying until you figure out the lake
    Last year I had a horrible cat season but I have it pretty dialed in this season
    But im on a tube searching for them with fly line night crawlers

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T-rex View Post
    Catfish are stacked up and they aren't everywhere like trout. So its kind of a hit & miss for them but keep trying until you figure out the lake
    Last year I had a horrible cat season but I have it pretty dialed in this season
    But im on a tube searching for them with fly line night crawlers
    Thanks T-rex! Any tips on the time of day or spots that would get me some bites at least? I bought some garlic scent stuff to try on the baits, hopefully it gets me some bites at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast