Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth/Yosemite report!

Default Mammoth/Yosemite report!

Firstly, wanted to thank all the guys who helped me in my "Advice" thread.

Here it goes!

I just returned from the trip and it was awesome! I didn't end up going to rock creek, though :/ Since i went with 3 Mammoth noobs (they all fell in love with the place as i did when i was a child) They kinda told me they wanted to stay closer, so I tried my best to get them on some fish! This is also my first time really walking around and doin lots of shore fishing here, When I go with my dads and uncles

Day 1: We arrived at our room and checked in at our and decided to try our luck at Mary, We fished for about 2 1/2 hours and didn't get a single bite.. I've never been skuned at mary, so I thought the trip was going to be a flop. But the weather was amazing!

day2: Went to Lake George and the lake was packed! I've never witnessed it that crowded. Most of the shoreline was taken, so we across the lake and fished near the rocks and didn't get a bite at all, we fishing from 9am to 1. I did see these two guys float tubing about 40-50 feet away and one of them caught what seemed to be a a nice 3 1/2 pounder. looked like they were jigging worms. So I decided to give it up at George, we packed up and I lead the crew up the mountain to TJ lake and WOW that place is beautiful, I very taken back. There was maybe 10 people on the whole lake, and it was WFO on rainbow power bait and R/G Thomas buoyants. We c/r 'd around 25-30. They were all good size, a little under a pound and some a pound and a half. (we were fishing on the left side of the lake, the 3 opening on the trail.)

Ladies and Fellas, I Hooked up and lost probably the biggest trout I've ever caught. Right before we left I was messing around with this huge silver Kastmaster that I've had in my vest for years and never used. Since the lake was empty at this point, I wanted to try and cast across the lake haha. around my 6th cast, right as the lure hit the water and sank for 1-2 secs I got a Gigantic Hit and It was on, I was freaking out haha It felt like i was hooked up to a DD striper bass, I fought it for around 5 or so mins and wow, it was the BIGGEST Brown trout I've ever seen, it looked close to 8 pounds, maybe more... Lost him right when My lady was about to net it! I was soo bummed out and excited at the same time haha man, I woulda loved a picture of it! Ill come back for him next year haha!

Day 3: I decided to take them up to Yosemite and fish at Tioga lake! We got there around 9am and went straight to the damn. I was using a R/G Thomas buoyant again and my girl was using rainbow power bait and my business partner and his girl were also using PB

Literally my first cast I hooked up! it was again WFO! I c/r'd 15 Rainbow and Brown trout in the first 30 mins and the others were doing well with the rainbow and sierra gold PB. Lost the TB lure and literally was just giving a Lure 3 casts and i would change it up to find something that was working, then i got on my Gold with black spot kastmaster and again, was hooking up literally every cast, so I decided to cast and hook up to a fish and let my girl reel it in! I let her reel in this brown trout in the picture below, when the brown was about 5 feet from us, her pole got slammed! and she ended catching the largest fish of the day at a little over a pound. They also got a picture of when we got a double hook up haha. So we stayed there till around 5 pm and called it a day, all in all I would say we caught around 50 fish ( all c/r'd)

Over all it was a fantastic trip, I didn't take as many pictures as I wanted, I left my phone in the room because I didn't want to deal with work haha. But, Mammoth is my favorite place, the people, the air, the night sky.. Just everything gives me and feeling that it's where i belong. I cannot wait until next year!

Also, My father and I around going to purchase a Cabin In Mammoth by the end of this year. It's going to be just a family and close friend place, But We are going to offer the house for cheap for FNN members, I will give you all more details once the purchase is done!

photo 3 by b_bspk
    Me fishing at Lake George on day 2

photo (1) by b_bspk
    My girl and I when we had that double hook up

photo 1 by b_bspk
    The Brownie I was netting in the picture above!

photo 2 by b_bspk
    and a random pic of a hat I took for my companies Instagram of one of our vendors Fitted Hawaii haha.

Sounds like you had a great trip!

Loved seeing that rock on Tioga -- lots of memories taking my kids to that exact spot when they were younger. I'd plant them on top of that rock, and when they got a bite, I'd go down to where you were at in the picture and net it for them. Many times, I'd slip right into the water, but it was all worth it.

Are you looking at those Forest Service cabins in Lake Mary? There's at least three for sale right now. If I had a few hundred grand to spend, I'd love to have one of those!

Glad you had fun. Excellent job releasing all the fish. Cant access your pics though! Guess I have to be a yahoo member. Also, the fish in the net appears to be a brook trout and not a brown, although I cant open the pic and I cant say for sure.

thanks for the info. How was lake George water level any sign of it going down?

Great report. Glad you guys had a successful trip!...

Thanks for the great report! Next time don't overlook the awesome fishing in the June Lake Loop on the way from Mammoth to rte 120. Also don't forget Ellery lake, on rte 120 before reaching the park, has great fishing and spectacular scenery.

Your experiences describe typical summer sierra conditions. As you noted, hiking a bit - even a short distance - will get you away from crowds and into unfished territory quickly.

As fishing–freak asked: how were the water levels? I'm planning a trip there myself in Sept and hoping for the best.

First off, I wanted to apologize to everyone about all my typos lmao I typed this around 4am and didn't bother re-reading it lol

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Sounds like you had a great trip!

Loved seeing that rock on Tioga -- lots of memories taking my kids to that exact spot when they were younger. I'd plant them on top of that rock, and when they got a bite, I'd go down to where you were at in the picture and net it for them. Many times, I'd slip right into the water, but it was all worth it.

Are you looking at those Forest Service cabins in Lake Mary? There's at least three for sale right now. If I had a few hundred grand to spend, I'd love to have one of those!
    That gives me chills reading, thank you for that! I plan on bringing my children (whenever I have some) and doing the same. I actually slipped in as well, i dropped a lure and tried to grab it. Right now. We are actually looking anywhere that would accommodate our boat so it doesn't get torn up by the weather! But I love those cabins that you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by mrg85 View Post
    Glad you had fun. Excellent job releasing all the fish. Cant access your pics though! Guess I have to be a yahoo member. Also, the fish in the net appears to be a brook trout and not a brown, although I cant open the pic and I cant say for sure.
    Totally my fault, you're correct about it being a Brookie! And thank you soo much, it was a great trip indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by fishing_freak View Post
    thanks for the info. How was lake George water level any sign of it going down?
    The water levels looked as they did when i was there around 2 years ago. The worst lake (as far as water levels go) was Def Grant lake, it was depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by AnglerBob View Post
    Thanks for the great report! Next time don't overlook the awesome fishing in the June Lake Loop on the way from Mammoth to rte 120. Also don't forget Ellery lake, on rte 120 before reaching the park, has great fishing and spectacular scenery.

Your experiences describe typical summer sierra conditions. As you noted, hiking a bit - even a short distance - will get you away from crowds and into unfished territory quickly.

As fishing–freak asked: how were the water levels? I'm planning a trip there myself in Sept and hoping for the best.
    Thank you, sir. Yeah, usually when we bring the boat we will fish june and Gull, but this was my shortest trip ever and I just wanted to show them as many spots as i could haha! I've actually never been Ellery lake, but thanks! im going to look into that for next time.

Yeah, I typically go around june and it's still a bit chilly, I've never been there around this time so it was like a whole different experience, but it was just great!

As stated on the Grant, The Twin lakes/crowley/ were VERY low as well. But convict, Mary, horseshoe, mamie, george and the others in the june lake loop looked fine, maybe a little lower than normal, but looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by pitman View Post
    Great report. Glad you guys had a successful trip!...
    Thank you, Sir! Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast