Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A morning of fails, but still better than work...

Default A morning of fails, but still better than work...

Finally got a chance to hit up castaic this morning after being stuck at home reading all these great reports recently. I had high hopes for the morning, but it didn't quite go as planned, lol. Got the the lake at 630...decided i best use the restroom real fast before i launch. On my way back to the boat, i rolled my ankle real good off a curb ...thought i may have broken it for a sec, but i wasn't going to let it stop me. Limped back to the boat and headed down the ski arm. Cruised around for a bit looking for any boils, but didn't see any, so put out the u-rigs and started trolling.

Well, within 5 minutes of trolling....i managed to snag both rigs on the bottom and lost both of them....instantly robbing me of almost $50 in tackle So now trolling is out of the question since i lost my only 2 rigs. But hopefully not all was lost...luckily i stopped by gallions on the way to the lake and grabbed some fresh sardines...so i found a spot up by where the buoy line used to be and dropped anchor. Well, that didn't work either. Maybe my anchor is too small for my boat or something because no matter what i did i could not get it to hold on the bottom...not to mention i only have 1 anchor instead of 2 like ur supposed to. So i pulled it up and tried use my trolling motor to keep me planted in one spot best i could...that didn't work either....made it impossible for us to present the bait properly.

10am rolls around without a fish in the boat....i decided to give up on stripers and get my skunk off with LMB, since that seems to be what im good at. Sure enough first cast....i put a chunk in the boat, skunk off. Around 11am we started seeing striper boils up the fishing arm. tried chasing down a few but couldn't make it to them in time. Fished for LMB till about noon then called it a day. I think i need to go back to the drawing board to catch stripers...today was quite humbling for me, to put it lightly

On a side note...seemed like there were an awful lot of boats out there for a monday...

i should probably stick to these, lol
    Last edited by ZipperWurm; 08-18-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, and the lost tackle, I know when I started to troll this summer with the water so low, that certain areas the structure comes up so quickly, you really have to watch your fish finder for the depth......I got snagged several times, but only lost 1 rig.......so far. I think your picture would look much better with Mr Stripey sharing the deck of your boat with you, LOL Hope your ankle feels better soon..................Dave

I least you got out...i just order 4 rigs....and will order 4 more... new poles and reel's..lures...I will not get the skunk again.. IM going to kill some stripers..

Quote Originally Posted by catchingsomefish View Post
    Sorry to hear about your ankle, and the lost tackle, I know when I started to troll this summer with the water so low, that certain areas the structure comes up so quickly, you really have to watch your fish finder for the depth......I got snagged several times, but only lost 1 rig.......so far. I think your picture would look much better with Mr Stripey sharing the deck of your boat with you, LOL Hope your ankle feels better soon..................Dave
    Haha thanks. yeah it was just one of those mornings where nothing seemed to go right. i'm sure the ankle will be alright, feels much better now...probably just twisted it up a bit. Good thing no one was around when i lost those rigs...lots of angry profanity...lol

Man, that's a tough morning!

Don't give up on the striper. they are worth the trouble.

How's your ankle now?

Tough morn Z dubs...

Stick with it

That's a mighty tough half day...but no skunk! Next time's gotta be better...you can buy a lure retriever that will go down and get your stuck u-rig, or if you're cheap like me, just take an 8 oz. torpedo sinker, put a couple big treble hooks on it fore and aft and a carabiner on one end, tie a really strong line to the carabiner, clip it onto your stuck u-rig line, let it down to the u-rig and hand-jig it until you grab it and pull it back up...it works!

Zworm, I know you'll figure it out. Don't give up on the stripes & settle for the ditch pickles.
    At least go 50/50. Limit out on stripes in the morning, then go play with the green ones.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Man, that's a tough morning!

Don't give up on the striper. they are worth the trouble.

How's your ankle now?
    Much better, thanks. Feels like a slight sprain now...but man when i did it this morning i thought for sure id be wearing a cast after the fishing trip, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    That's a mighty tough half day...but no skunk! Next time's gotta be better...you can buy a lure retriever that will go down and get your stuck u-rig, or if you're cheap like me, just take an 8 oz. torpedo sinker, put a couple big treble hooks on it fore and aft and a carabiner on one end, tie a really strong line to the carabiner, clip it onto your stuck u-rig line, let it down to the u-rig and hand-jig it until you grab it and pull it back up...it works!
    that's a clever idea, i maye have to try that out in hopes of saving me $$$....

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Zworm, I know you'll figure it out. Don't give up on the stripes & settle for the ditch pickles.
    At least go 50/50. Limit out on stripes in the morning, then go play with the green ones.
    yeah thats what i'd like to eventually do...my freezer is starting to get empty!

on a side note, does anybody have any recommendations on u-rig brands before i go replacing mine? the one's i lost were the piccasso bait ball extreme. only reason i bought those is cuz they looked the most appealing to me...

So,,, Whats your hours Z WORM,,,,Days off etc,,,Pm me

WTG On sticking it out bud,,,,

TRAIL BLAZER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast