Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Yellowtail setup advice

Default Yellowtail setup advice

Takin' the old man out next week on a full day cattle boat out of Dana Wharf, hoping to run into some Yellowtail, Yellowfin and Bluefin. Never fished for this class of fish before, lookin' for advice on the setup. Talked to a couple of guys at bass pro, they advised using lighter line, 20# mono. I was thinking of going with 30# braid with some kind of fluoro leader. Are these fish line shy at all? Something for live bait and another for surface irons. What say ya'll?

Here's my gear:
    Calcutta 400TE
    Cardiff 400
    2x Shimano Baitrunner 6000D Spinning

Also have smaller stuff, 200 series Abu Revo SX and Shimano Chronarch

I appreciate any advice
    Last edited by Agent00cix; 08-12-2014 at 04:51 PM.

For your TE, I would go with 50lb braid (power pro moss green). I usually go 65lb, but going 50lb will give u more line capacity that will be needed on a cattle boat. I would fill the spool and use a 6ft 30lb flouro leader (seaguar blue label). U will probably be fly lining so Owner ringed gorilla hooks in 1/0 or 2/0 will get you right!! If your braid to Flouro isn't the best, grab a pack of Spro 80lb barrel swivels. Enough said, go rip some lips!!!!

Lots of the YT are smaller now. Bring a 20lb rig also like they said.
    DR

if u have spec, fish spec, but just be mindful and dont saw anyone off.

Have 25 and 40 pound outfits. 40 pound in case the boat stops on a big blue bite. My last trip, my 25 pound got snapped off quick, but swwapped to a 40 pound and brought in a 75pound blue. u could do 20lb, but just takes longer to bring fish in and risk line tangles. if u have another rod, bring one that can throw a megabait or a popper for topwater.

if you have flouro, use it, 10 foot leader is all.

thats really all u need.

I would go 50# spectra and 30# flouro for live bait. For the iron, I go with straight 65# braid.

I think its better to use white or red spectra. Its a lot easier to see over the moss green. You gotta follow your bait and green isn't the easiest to keep track of. I've always gotten bit pretty good on 30# topshot. Its what I use 90% of the time for trips up to 3.5 days. I've caught rat yelllowtail to the bigger bluefins/yellowfins on it. 20# gets bit good, but if you have lots of people on the boat, you're probably not gonna land it.

Fyi, I personally like the bob sands for braid to mono. Hasn't failed me yet. The knot is pretty small too and will fly through your guides. Its the only one I use up to 60#. For anything bigger than that, the phillips red knot is a killer one too.

I just came back and they were eating 30lb mono at Catalina and the YFT were eating 40lb. Make sure your drag is set and good luck.