Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: South for yellows and tuna on the Booz boat!

Default South for yellows and tuna on the Booz boat!

With this great El Niņo pushing exotics up, and Having a lot of great memories of the salt from the past I figured it was time. So I have been gong out on my boat the last few few weeks. This trip being the 3rd week.

It would be much easier for me to just pay and go on a trip. But nope. That's not what I want. I have caught many exotics over the years. My goal has been to take my small boat with a careful eye on the weather and swell condition.

First trip I wasn't prepared with enough gas. That's the trip with the 80+ blue whale.

2nd trip last week DK texted me and asked when I was going next and said he wants to go. So he drove here from Fresno and we launched from Dana point and went 30 miles west and 16 miles south with only 9 inch mackerel. We tried and tried and just didn't pan out. God knows we worked hard looking. Thx DK for joining me wish we wacked them. You calico killer. :).

Today's trip Friday 8th I planned to launch further south. So I did with fishingvato out of San Diego. Launched at 5am waited for bait in line for 45min. Sardines. AWESOME!!!
    Problem? I got a scoop when it was way too much and bait for my tank and rolled with only a handful of twitchers.
    Crap!!!! My tank holds half scoop perfect and I got overly excited to have extra and f'd the bait up. First paddy 9 miles out WFO YT with just a few baits left. Good bait would have = over limits on YT. Some on irons but not the same. They were small yellows but not complaining and totally stoked I got them on my boat.

Now no bait. So I see a boater alone and offer 20 bucks for a doZen baits and he agrees. SWEET! Off for tuna.

Tuna time....now we head to 9 mile bank. Chasing birds with only a few baits. Ok chum some Cutbait only. Nope. Not working for us. Ok throw just a few live baits. No luck. So we move.

Now we see again soak some baits no luck. This continues until we are out of bait. Had we had enough good bait to chum we would have limited out on yellows and yft.

Now what? Now of course we see them crashing on the surface. Yes tuna, no bait. Throw Irons and there not working. Crap why didn't I throw a mega bait. Oh well too late. Lol

Learning lesson? Buy another tank don't overload and you better believe I am going back for more. Total blast and can't wait to do it again.
    Adrenaline rush!!! Thanks for reading.

Nicely done Mike... The silver bullet out on the high seas.
    I'm a little put off that you've traded me in,
    But, you made up for it by chumming "Cutbait". Lol

Glad you got on them mike. 3rd times a charm. I'll be calling you soon. Lol

M.O.... You are always calling other guys Animals when they post nice reports.

Today... You Sir... are the ANIMAL!!!!!!!!

Love the persistence and I'm sure you're gonna limit out next time.

AA is right.... chumming "Cutbait" was the best part of the report. I bet TB has wanted to do that a time or two.

Persistent

Gutsy

No fear

Determined

Best of all successful!

Mike, nice report, and way to get em! You need to take time to do that sort of thing, all work and no play will make you and old man before your time. I was thinking of you yesterday at Castaic when I saw your cove, er beach lol..................Dave

Quote Originally Posted by catchingsomefish View Post
    Mike, nice report, and way to get em! You need to take time to do that sort of thing, all work and no play will make you and old man before your time. I was thinking of you yesterday at Castaic when I saw your cove, er beach lol..................Dave
    Err... ridge line with mountain goats on the crest

Awesome Mike!

Your doing very well for a guy who's just working it out. I can't wait to see what you do when you get things going.

Mike pickup some 2oz - 3oz krocodiles and throw them at the kelp with 65# braid when the yellows are out. They will flutter down and drive em' wild. If not, burn the lure back to the boat and you will get bit. Works for me all the time. Save your dines' for the tunas when they are crashing on the surface. Mega baits / irons are great but sink too fast for my liking. I can catch easy limits of yellows on the kroc before some of the the bait guys even hookup on one. (Blue/chrome or green / chrome mackrel color works best if you can find them). Let me know if you wanna try em out but can't find one. I have a couple in my bag and i'd hook you up with one. Let me know when you pass thru my neck of the woods and you can pick it up. I like your persistence out there... Tight lines!
    Last edited by jaggerbub; 08-09-2014 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double A View Post
    Nicely done Mike... The silver bullet out on the high seas.
    I'm a little put off that you've traded me in,
    But, you made up for it by chumming "Cutbait". Lol
    lol

You know I miss fishing with you and talking chit about cb and DK. Haha

But rumor has it you quit fishing, huh?
    Is it golf, work, honey-do's?

Quote Originally Posted by dk4885 View Post
    Glad you got on them mike. 3rd times a charm. I'll be calling you soon. Lol
    I'm sure you will be too. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by MustHuntAndFish View Post
    M.O.... You are always calling other guys Animals when they post nice reports.

Today... You Sir... are the ANIMAL!!!!!!!!

Love the persistence and I'm sure you're gonna limit out next time.

AA is right.... chumming "Cutbait" was the best part of the report. I bet TB has wanted to do that a time or two.
    Thank you MHF! Ya good times. Maybe a little crazy? But I only live once I guess.
    Good times for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Persistent

Gutsy

No fear

Determined

Best of all successful!
    You know it bro!!! The only way we fly. :)

Quote Originally Posted by catchingsomefish View Post
    Thank you Dave!! Ya I hear castaic is really heating up now. Rumor has it CB Wacked them silly today. Along with all the other boooozez in the group.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Awesome Mike!

Your doing very well for a guy who's just working it out. I can't wait to see what you do when you get things going.
    From your lips to Gods ears I hope you are right! Thank you Ron.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast