Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Tuna and Tails - San Diego Offshore 8/7/2014

Default Tuna and Tails - San Diego Offshore 8/7/2014

Sorry for the late report - We took the Kolo out of San Diego again, with crew members Frank, FrankyG, and TroutOnly on board. We tried to catch some macks for bait but only got a few so we baited up with some anchovies and headed out. We went out west along the border and found a large group of private and sport boats working about a 5 mile block of area. There were many kelp paddies but most were dry. Frank did catch 2 smaller Yellows and lost another in the kelp. We decided to make a drift near the Excel and after about an hour Frank hooks a nice one. When I gaffed it, it freaked out and smacked Frank right in the nuts - yeah I got it on Gopro! Bob was next and expertly battled the tuna to the boat in good time. The bite fizzled out there and the Excel took off. We looked around and found a few more dry kelp paddies and sometime in the afternoon we finally found some birds crashing and tuna breaking! I carefully positioned the boat so we would slide along the side of them. We threw some chum and after a few minutes I was on! Minutes after Frank gaffs my fish, Franky hooks up and after a long fight we all have a nice tuna on board. We hit a few more paddies and Franky gets lucky and pulls another one in. We were pretty much out of bait after that so we headed in with 5 nice tuna and 2 yellowtail. Most of the chatter on the radio indicated it was an off day and one of those "should have been here yesterday" deals. We had a little run in with some "guide" at the launch ramp. All of the dock space was full and this guys was sitting there washing his boat and chatting with his clients. I was very polite and said, "Excuse me, are you going to be there a while?" He looked at me and immediately started shouting obscenities, "I'll take as long as I f#*#$ing want!, Who the fO##$ are you, blah, blah, blah..." I just smiled and said "Thank you very much! Have a nice day." He was bewildered and even his clients were looking at him like "Was that necessary?" He did proceed to get his truck and get out of the way though! Bob just laughed and said, "Yeah all guides are like that; Except me!"

Spotty on the sabiki

TO tuna

Frank and Bob

FrankyG

Finally a dock spot!

Cool report looks like a great time. Nice tuna nut check!

awesome slayage... lets hope this bite keeps going!

Nice report!!!!! Love the video!! the tuna Nut slap was hilarious!!

Nice! We went out the day after your trip and fished the same area but maybe a bit further west, 10 tuna two guys on a big spot of fish/birds. Sounds like the fish may have moved a bit NorthEast, going to hit it tomorrow again!

Quote Originally Posted by Daleela View Post
    Nice! We went out the day after your trip and fished the same area but maybe a bit further west, 10 tuna two guys on a big spot of fish/birds. Sounds like the fish may have moved a bit NorthEast, going to hit it tomorrow again!
    I hope you guys Kill them! looking forward to your report!