Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 79 Skipjack Emergencey Engine Repair And Flat Fish Suprise

Default 79 Skipjack Emergencey Engine Repair And Flat Fish Suprise

About six months ago my buddy Gabriel and his 10yr old son bought a 1979 28' skipjack and began his initiation
    into saltwater life and me being a salt guy at heart offered to help him out anyway I could, with either boat repair
    or showing him how to master the salt. Finally after a few months of him learning the boat, getting the bugs out
    we made an evening trip out of LB where his slip is, right next to the yard house. He asked me to trouble shoot his
    engine problems which ended up being easy electrical issues with a quick rewire of both engines it ran like a champ.
    "yes I used automotive hardware since its what he had, he said just to do it because next week it was going to be pulled
    for service and he wanted to trouble shoot the issues before hand.
    "but i never, never suggest using automotive anything for a boat, unless you want a BoatBQ"

After that we had to test them out and of course grab a half scoop of dines from Nacho, man he's getting old but damn arn't we all.lol
    With a few passes, watching the graph we decide we make a few drifts from 50'-20' of water and finally after a few lizards, sand bass "not picture worthy" I finally feel the right kind, but wait, it was on a long line drift and partially stuck on the bottom as I could feel it caught up in something good, I tried free spooling to no success and with no other option but to wind up the other drift rods and start the boat I lock the drag and pull for dear life,,, pow... the line comes free and I finally feel what im fighting and begin to gain line, a few head shakes and thumps and she floats in like a paraglider coming in for landing. A beautiful flatty payday for my services,

I swear id work on boats for free just to fish..lol oh wait,, I did that.. a couple years on the el dorado..
    hahaa, anyways a few more drift and a few lost fish we called it a night and headed to the dock for the night life.
    With a tuna trip in the works and plenty of fish and intel I have a feeling were going to break in the boat just fine..
    Last edited by Fishbones; 08-14-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Nice work Alex. 79 Skippy, wow! Better keep those wrenches handy...

Nice work Alex!

Nice Catch too!

hahaa.. agree Jeff.. cant say I didn't warn him.. sad to say but its already cost him a good chunk.

good thing for me, is i'll be fishing the salt a little more, bad thing is it might be from the dock. lol

Thanks Ron, When shall we fix your boat?

I like mr flatty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......................

Nice Halibut Alex!

Thumbs up

Nice Hali Alex!
    Hope to see you at HG6.

Thank you Gentlemen, Looking forward to it Arthur.

Way to get er done. A doormat for your reward. UDAMAN.
    DR

haahaa, thanks Martin.. Damn those bones are think in the LB huh?